PDA

View Full Version : sandless?

HillbillyYoda
05/17/2013, 04:05 PM
Is sand an absolute requirement, whether in the DT or in the sump? What are some of the drawbacks of having no sand?

reefshadow
05/17/2013, 04:25 PM
No, it isn't an absolute requirement.

Drawbacks might include less surface for nitrifying bacteria to colonize, and definitely include limitations on certain creatures that require sand.

MiracleFish
05/17/2013, 04:27 PM
Sand is not necessary at all in a tank, but is IMO recommended for a refugium/sump.

HillbillyYoda
05/17/2013, 04:48 PM
What would be some of the creatures requiring sand? I know some of the snails do. I'm having my tank drilled Sunday. Before that happens I'm leaning on not having sand. Painting the bottom, back, and sides with black latex. I've seen another tank done this way and it looks really good. I think painting the bottom and putting sand in the sump is the way I'll go.

djp2313
05/17/2013, 05:05 PM
I am completely sandless. Went with just the bottom and back painted black though, I like the different viewing angles.

Some of the creatures are wrasses, gobies, jawfish. Though a lot of the wrasses will adapt to being sandless some of the more difficult ones I wouldn't try w/o sand present. There are a few sand dwelling anemones. Doing a pistol/goby pair is far less interesting because there is no sand to move.

Snails are fine w/o sand. Nassarius snails simply hide in the rockwork instead.

I would also say as long as you are going bb in the DT you may as well go bb in the sump as well. The sand there will simply trap detritus and lead to the same thing you are trying to eliminate in the DT by going bb.

HillbillyYoda
05/17/2013, 05:45 PM
So there is actually gobies that don't use or abuse sand?

reefshadow
05/17/2013, 10:31 PM
+1 to what djb stated.

There are a few gobies that don't require sand that are prevalent in the trade, such as clown gobies.

FWIW, I'm in the BB display club as well, though I have a couple of inches of CC in my small 'fuge for a small macro garden. I made the decision for a few reasons, mostly maintenance and flow related.

Edit- I also painted the bottom of the tank with a Rustoleum Stone textured paint. It's called... wait for it... -Caribbean Sand. I think it looks great.

blanden.adam
05/18/2013, 05:14 AM
Agreed, I have some sand in my tank as just a dusting for aesthetic reasons. Sand gets blown around, harbors detritus, and is otherwise just a PITA. Some organisms need it, but it's really more of a hassle than it's worth IMO. Now if only I could tolerate the look of a BB reef :(