PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a apex. Want to buy one today

Twostepper4041
05/18/2013, 08:01 AM
So I can't figure out which one to get, or if it would actually help with anything
40 gal with 25 sump. Heavy coral load.

3 panorama marines and I antinic all controlled by 2 one touch light controler from ecoxotic

Phosban reactor

Return pump

Skimmer

2 mp10 wireless

I dose by hand but will buy dosing pumps for cal and alk

Heater

Jbj auto top off

And a fuge light

Ok.... What should I get?

I also can't have a large Ethernet cable running from tank to router.... Anyway to go wireless??

Thank you all

Midnightt
05/18/2013, 10:59 AM
Basically you want the more Apex. You don't want light or Jr. It'll save you money in the long run.

You can also go wireless I believe with a gaming adapter. Do a quick search on that. I'm lucky enough to have my router a few feet from the tank.

RussM
05/18/2013, 11:03 AM
Based on what the OP posted, there's no need for the full Apex - no need for the VarSpd ports or ORP monitoring.

An Apex Lite and a WXM is probably the best fit based on the stated requirements.

fairladyZ
05/18/2013, 12:14 PM
agree with russ, would pick up an apex lite and i would grab an extra EB8. I got the apex lite and quickly realized i needed more plugins! so now a breakout box and extra eb8 are on the way.

kurt_n
05/18/2013, 05:42 PM
And yes... you can go wireless, just make sure it's an ethernet wireless adapter, and not something you plug in to a USB port. What appear to be USB ports on the Apex are NOT - don't plug anything other than the aquabus in to them. I use a Netgear WNCE2001 for wireless and have been nothing but happy with it.

Even if you normally connect wireless, you're going to want to buy a long ethernet cable to occasionally stretch directly from your router to your Apex. Firmware updates NEED to be done wired - don't risk it wirelessly. Also, you'll have an easier time getting the thing setup if you start out using the wired connection until you're sure everything is working correctly. Then add in the wireless adapter. If you start out wireless and have problems, it's tough to narrow down if its the Apex or the adapter.