PDA

View Full Version : Hoping someone can help me

Gemini1022
05/18/2013, 12:21 PM
I purchased an aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer a few months ago for my tank upgrade so now that im ready to add the skimmer I noticed that the clear outlet tube was broken off. Is there any way to fix this without having to replace it? And if there is what would be the best adhesive?

Thank in advance

woodnaquanut
05/18/2013, 02:44 PM
How about a picture of the part? I don't have the skimmer and the pics I found at MD don't have much of a clear outlet tube. What is there looks to be clear PVC. Perhaps you could craft some sort of 'splint' out of PVC and weld it together? PVC coupling might also work.

WE NEED PICS!! :)

Gemini1022
05/18/2013, 04:55 PM
Here is a pic of how they are supposed to be attached to the skimmer. The PVC piece that is connected to the outlet pipe is supposed to be permanently attached to the skimmer body. Hope this helps let me know if anymore pics re needed.

Da Maui life
05/18/2013, 10:18 PM
IPS Weldon 16 it will create a very strong bond with out fussing with some kind of “splint” Number 16 covers a wide range of plastics.

SUBSTRATE RECOMMENDATIONS:
WELD-ON 16 is especially formulated to bond acrylic (poly-methyl methacrylate) plastic. It can also be used for bonding styrene, butyrate, PVC, ABS and polycarbonate, as well as other plastics and porous surfaces.

woodnaquanut
05/19/2013, 09:31 AM
I agree with Da Maui. A small amount of #16 will get the job done. Holding it in place while the bond forms will be the tricky part.

Da Maui life
05/19/2013, 10:58 AM
I agree with Da Maui. A small amount of #16 will get the job done. Holding it in place while the bond forms will be the tricky part.

Agree, one may need to prop up the part after the initial bond , just to make sure it doesn’t move especially if it’s top heavy.
I used number 16 on a resent build, it sets up very quickly. The one thing I would recommend is not press down hard on the part, being a medium bodied solvent It will squish out.

Some more info on the product.

WELD-ON 16 is a very high strength, clear, medium bodied,(more like syrup) fast curing, solvent-type acrylic cement. Applied to cast, molded or extruded acrylics, it will affect initial bonds very quickly so some parts may be handled within a few minutes. Bond strength continues to develop very rapidly reaching a substantial level and forming strong joints within hours.

Gemini1022
05/19/2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the info. Went hunting for the weld bond today but apparently the three hardware stores near me do not carry it so I got it ordered from amazon. Should be here this week and hopefully will get the skimmer on by early next week.