PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Fish to a new tank

Exoristos
05/18/2013, 02:45 PM
Hello everyone, I bought a new tank today (45g seamless cube) and I want to transfer my fish from my existing 36g euro-bow tank. I asked the guy at the aquarium place where I am buying my equipment and he said I can just transfer everything right into the new tank if I use most of the existing water. Anyone has any pointers or special steps that I have to take. Do I move the fish in a bucket of water while doing the transfer so I wont stress them too much or do I transfer the gravel and live lock first and then the water with the fish.

johnike
05/18/2013, 02:57 PM
If you mean gravel, now would be a good time to get a sandbed, or decide on going bare bottom. And yes, a bucket for the fish is much better than the sink or bathtub. 12 or so gallons of new water sounds reasonable. Just take your time, and see you in the moved to current forum. :)
And welcome to the Lounge from an old Chicago guy.

Exoristos
05/18/2013, 03:10 PM
I was thinking about sand for a while now. I think maybe is the right time to do it. I just don't know what to do with the existing 40lbs of gravel :P

johnike
05/18/2013, 03:13 PM
I have a gravel driveway that could use some filling.
:)

This what I use and have been happy with it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7326

Exoristos
05/18/2013, 03:17 PM
If I use sand do I need to do something special before adding it to the new tank? I am trying to make this transition as painless as possible for my fish

cas
05/18/2013, 03:20 PM
If I use sand do I need to do something special before adding it to the new tank? I am trying to make this transition as painless as possible for my fish

Rinse it out to get rid of the dust.

johnike
05/18/2013, 03:23 PM
Good advise, thank you cas. I thought this was going to be a wisearse comment on that not being enough gravel for my driveway.

otrlynn
05/18/2013, 03:24 PM
Not that there is a whole lot of "fish talk" here in the lounge, but I would transfer as much water from your old tank as possible. Whatever new saltwater you are using should match the old water parameters as much as possible ( temp, alk, etc). I don't know how long your existing tank has been up, but a move is a great opportunity to take your live rock and dunk it in some saltwater, and brush it off well to remove detritus etc. you will be surprised how much crud comes off the rock. If you switch to sand, make sure that you rinse it well to get off the dust before adding it to the tank. You will experience a small cycle of algae with adding new sand to your tank--it's normal.

Exoristos
05/18/2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys. I'll post some photos during the transition and when the final product is done.

johnike
05/18/2013, 03:38 PM
Where in Chicago? I grew up in Roseland/Pullman.

Exoristos
05/18/2013, 03:43 PM
I actually moved from Chicago to NW suburbs Arlington Heights IL

johnike
05/18/2013, 04:03 PM
You and cas could be neighbors.

cas
05/18/2013, 04:04 PM
I actually moved from Chicago to NW suburbs Arlington Heights IL

I am near the Luther Home.

Exoristos
05/18/2013, 10:14 PM
Where is that exactly? I used to be behind the post office but I moved next to the highway

johnike
05/19/2013, 05:22 AM
Oh, and don't tell anyone we were trying to be helpful in the Lounge, we have a reputation to keep up.
;)
:)
Sk8r, thanks for moving the thread.

Rogue sub
05/19/2013, 06:20 AM
I just moved my 75 into a 135.

I set up a temp 75g to hold all the fish and coral which I transferred with buckets. I used all of the water I had as well. This kept the fish happy since the water was all the same. Then I transferred all my sand to the new tank and added sand I hade already cycled in another tank to fill the rest. After the dust settled I made a bunch of water and matched the parameters and mixed it with water from the sump. Next I emptied the temp tank to half way into the new tank. Transferred the critters and then the rest of the water. Everyone is very happy except my back!

Good luck. It's lots of work( for me 2 days) but its worth it. Try to borrow a tank to run for a temp. It seems excessive but you never know what's gonna happen it is nice to have a life boat. I ended up snapping a bulkhead seal and having a leak issue with one of my fittings and am so thankful I had a complete tank running in back up.

Git r done