PDA

View Full Version : Another ID before I buy Aptasia X

justthewife
05/19/2013, 10:36 AM
I have to stop looking in the tank. Every time I look I find something else I don't know what it is. This time I don't think its good :eek:

reefshadow
05/19/2013, 11:05 AM
Not aptasia, IMO. Looks more like majano sp.

I'm not sure what "aptasia x" is, but I would be very careful if it is designed to treat the whole tank. A simple kalkwasser, lemon juice or boiling water injection will do very well for a single pest anemone, and is much cheaper than any off the shelf product.

Good luck!

SushiGirl
05/19/2013, 11:25 AM
Could be a type of aiptasia, could be a rock nem. Sometimes it's hard to tell as there's a big variety of aiptasia. Reefshadow, AiptasiaX is used the same way as the other treatments you mentioned.

bnumair
05/19/2013, 11:48 AM
take rock out of the tank and burn infected area. rinse in saltwater then return the rock in the tank.

justthewife
05/19/2013, 12:15 PM
I don't think I would try burning it out of the rock. I wear hairspray :lmao: I would probably ignite myself. Anyway....if no one is sure what it is, I am still wondering what to do with it. Do I just leave it and watch it?

reefshadow
05/19/2013, 12:21 PM
FWIW, I'm pretty sure this is a Majano sp. I have never seen aiptasia get bubble tips on them, majano's commonly do. You can leave it and watch, but if majano sp, they are invasive just as aiptasia sp are and many reefers prefer to get rid of them asap.

I'm not a big fan of commercial products for a problem of this simplicity, they are 50x the price of common fixes achieved with household products. JM2C.

tommyhrs
05/19/2013, 04:38 PM
That looks just like whats on my live rock from Florida. They have not been a problem for 2 months so far. I had aiptasia and the peppermint shrimp took them out and have thus far left these alone. I have 2 of them and shrimp that eat aiptasia for sure.

drej424
05/20/2013, 08:13 AM
I use Aptaisia X. It is more expensive than kalkwasser paste, bit I found it easier to use because of the applicator. I used kalkwasser for a while, applying it with a turkey baster type tool. Sometimes, the paste would drip and burn the corals it fell on. So, I went back to Aptaisia-X.

justthewife
05/20/2013, 10:48 PM
Well...I purchased the Aptasia X and will be using it tomorrow. I am nervous, lol.