PDA

View Full Version : 2 96 watt PC bulbs to 26 LED acclimation suggestions

l8_apex_it
05/19/2013, 11:00 AM
I upgraded a day ago from 2 96 watt bulbs (1 actnic and 1 10,000k) with nice excellent reflectors to a DIY mix of 26 LED's using 80 degree optics. The fixture is about 8.5" above the tank (restricted to canopy and can't raise them). I will be controlling the lights with an Apex controller.

The tank is mainly leathers and frogspawn at the moment. Frogspawn is toward the top.

I don't want to bleach the corals nor do I want to drop to much in intensity and have other issues. I am starting at 20% for the whites and blues. To my eye it is not as bright although the greens, blues and yellows in the coral seem to fluoresce more than before so it does make me think that the intensity may be more.

My question:
Am I being too conservative with the reduction in intensity? If not, how long should I keep them a this intensity before bumping it up 10% Is one week at each intensity too long or too short?

So far I do love the shimmer! I don't quite have the same intensity from end to end but can address that later by adding another section of lights.