PDA

View Full Version : new green gig

joeyjoe35
05/19/2013, 02:33 PM
Well I have been on the hunt for a nice gig for awhile. I had a blue one but discovered it was cut, it perished within two weeks. After bugging my lfs for weeks he tracked down a green one for me. He qt it for 2 weeks [no cipro] and it was in okay shape so he gave it to me. I brought it home and it went into qt for 24hrs. It never fully inflated so I am to begin cipro tonight.
Qt setup is a 10 gallon with led hood [I have a 4 bulb t5 to put over in a few days, as not to light shock it] airstone, heater, biowheel filter. Will be dosing according to the cipro thread 250 to 10 gallons, 5 gallon exchange a day.
Dt is a 180 with 45 gallon sump/fuge. I had two ritteris in the tank for two years but sold them off to try a gigantea.

Qt day 1.

cichlidconvert
05/19/2013, 03:34 PM
I'm glad your starting treatment quickly. Looks like it'll be a nice one when it recovers:)

joeyjoe35
05/19/2013, 04:00 PM
I'm glad your starting treatment quickly. Looks like it'll be a nice one when it recovers:)
After going through all the gig threads over and over I believe that early treatment is the key.

joeyjoe35
05/19/2013, 06:07 PM
Well 4 hours in looks alittle better more inflated, longer tentacles and constantly changing shape. mouth is open more then before. Responded well to the moon lights I turned on to clean out the tank [two small particles off dead zoo]. should I leave the moon lights on or will that break down the cipro too fast?

D-Nak
05/19/2013, 06:51 PM
Pull all of the filter material out of the biowheel. It will remove the Cipro. Speaking of which, I would dose Cipro at night, in complete darkness.

joeyjoe35
05/19/2013, 06:59 PM
Pull all of the filter material out of the biowheel. It will remove the Cipro. Speaking of which, I would dose Cipro at night, in complete darkness.

Yes I forgot to specify that its a biowheel filter but with no pads or filter just using it for additional circulation. I will turn off all the lights. Thank you

xtlosx
05/20/2013, 11:17 AM
updates? How is it looking today? I love the green gigs, and it's nice to see some more of them around.. I think they're under appreciated in the Gig community!

joeyjoe35
05/20/2013, 01:06 PM
Looking better more folds and a stronger stance. Its more inflated then before its close to 12-13in. Pulled some particles out of the tank but not much getting ready for a water change now

cichlidconvert
05/20/2013, 01:26 PM
Already looking better:)

joeyjoe35
05/20/2013, 04:12 PM
24 hrs in just did a 5gallon water change. gonna kill the lights and and dose again. So far no deflation just keeps getting bigger its alittle cramped in that 10 gallon

joeyjoe35
05/20/2013, 04:37 PM
He has crawled off his rock and moving towards the powerhead [its covered]

OrionN
05/20/2013, 06:46 PM
I would go to Home Depo and get a sheet of egg crate and divide the tank to keep the anemone from reaching the PH. Good luck with him.

joeyjoe35
05/20/2013, 07:02 PM
I would go to Home Depo and get a sheet of egg crate and divide the tank to keep the anemone from reaching the PH. Good luck with him.
Already did. Not taking any chances

joeyjoe35
05/21/2013, 04:57 AM
30 hrs: just turned lights on. His mouth is alot smaller and I couldn't find any dead zoo particles in the tank. Tentacles seems to grow a little too

reefscape7
05/21/2013, 05:09 AM
Yes defiantly treat it!!. I've imported a lot of gigs ( 80+ ) over the last few years and I can tell from your pics its still a bit touch and go.
You can tell by the general shape of it.
Is that cloudy look just because of the photo or is the nem smoking ( aka releasing a cloudy substance )?
Hopefully it will recover if you've caught it early enough. I find changing 75% of the water every 6 hours works well thou I use Baytril ( 1ml per 20 litres of water ) 10% solution of Baytril.
I only use 2 x T5 for lights and a small pump to keep the water moving.

Gd Luck :)

reefscape7
05/21/2013, 05:12 AM
That last pic looks a lot better than the previous one..:spin3:

30 hrs: just turned lights on. His mouth is alot smaller and I couldn't find any dead zoo particles in the tank. Tentacles seems to grow a little too

OrionN
05/21/2013, 05:30 AM
Yes defiantly treat it!!. I've imported a lot of gigs ( 80+ ) over the last few years and I can tell from your pics its still a bit touch and go.
Is that cloudy look just because of the photo or is the nem smoking ( aka releasing a cloudy substance )?
Hopefully it will recover if you've caught it early enough. I find changing 75% of the water every 6 hours works well thou I use Baytril ( 1ml per 20 litres of water ) 10% solution of Baytril.

Are you the one in London with all the Gigantea all in their own cubicles under treatment with antibiotic and water treated with UV?
Baytril is also a floroquinone, similar to Cipro. It was taken off the market for human use in the US several years ago.

joeyjoe35
05/21/2013, 05:45 AM

The cloudy look is my crappy camera, there has been no stress smoke. I currently have a two bulb t5 above and direct sunlight for it. I know its still in rough shape but I am impressed with the progress it has made with the cipro.

reefscape7
05/21/2013, 05:56 AM
Yes that right! I'm not in London now and have moved back to Yorkshire after running an install and maintenance business in London for 7-8 years. It's a young mans city lol.

I've been treating an absolutely massive red Haddoni for the last few days here using the above procedure. This carpet is stunning and about 24 inches across. Even when contracted down its 14 inches across.

No smoke is a good sign. I've found it's difficult to pull them through if the smoking has been going on a day or two before treating..

Are you the one in London with all the Gigantea all in their own cubicles under treatment with antibiotic and water treated with UV?
Baytril is also a floroquinone, similar to Cipro. It was taken off the market for human use in the US several years ago.

joeyjoe35
05/21/2013, 11:06 AM
Post water change not much has changed still inflated and changing shape constantly. I turned the flow up and he is standing firm. Will continue cipro dosage tonight after lights out.

D-Nak
05/21/2013, 11:19 AM
It's hard to tell in the photo -- is it attached to a rock? If not, I recommend adding a rock as IME they like to attach, even when in treatment (Cipro won't work its way into the rock so its safe for the rock as well). It will also make it easier to gauge if the gig is able to hold itself upright.

Judging by the photos, it appears that the gig is responding well to treatment, though the "striping" effect makes me think that there is still something wrong. Make sure to run the full course (I've gone 7 days) of treatment, even if you think it looks fine.

Good luck!

joeyjoe35
05/21/2013, 11:42 AM
It's hard to tell in the photo -- is it attached to a rock? If not, I recommend adding a rock as IME they like to attach, even when in treatment (Cipro won't work its way into the rock so its safe for the rock as well). It will also make it easier to gauge if the gig is able to hold itself upright.

Judging by the photos, it appears that the gig is responding well to treatment, though the "striping" effect makes me think that there is still something wrong. Make sure to run the full course (I've gone 7 days) of treatment, even if you think it looks fine.

Good luck!

He was originally on a rock but moved off it to get closer to the power head. I plan on at least a 5 day treatment followed by 2-3 days with just dt water no cipro, but of course situation will dictate if longer is needed.

joeyjoe35
05/21/2013, 04:49 PM
48 hrs looking better by the minute tentacle length getting better and mouth is slightly open. There has been no deflation since qt on Sunday. Going to kill the lights and administer the third dose of cipro.

joeyjoe35
05/22/2013, 06:22 PM
72 hrs in no deflation. I'm going to continue cipro for another two days making 5 total. Then I will do 3 days of qt with dt water no cipro and evaluate from there. Mouth looks good today and no expelled particles.

reefscape7
05/23/2013, 11:07 AM
That's looking ok. A little bleached but that not normally a problem :)

D-Nak
05/23/2013, 11:13 AM
The mouth looks good. Tentacles still appear short, but for some reason, all of the green ones I've seen lately that have come in slightly bleached have this same appearance. They take a long time to appear "shaggy" but fortunately, they've all been pulling through so I think you'll be fine.

joeyjoe35
05/23/2013, 08:13 PM
Today is day 5. No deflation since qt I will administer one more dose of cipro then follow with a few days without and evaluate. The tenticles were much longer today and a tighter mouth.

joeyjoe35
05/28/2013, 07:56 PM
Just an up date I have stop the cipro and kept qt without meds through the weekend. So far 10 days no deflation tentacles have grown a little to give a more shaggy look. I will keep it I'm there to Fri night then transfer to St so I can watch it all weekend and observe. As far as placement goes should I place it on a rock or on the sand rock interface and let it decide to go up or dig?

joeyjoe35
05/30/2013, 12:02 PM
I added the gig to the dt last night after lights out. It hasn't moved from its spot all day and has expanded through out the day. I turned my leds down and will slowly bring them up over the next few weeks. I think with out the cipro treatment this nem would have never made it.

RIGUY314
05/30/2013, 08:12 PM
I added the gig to the dt last night after lights out. It hasn't moved from its spot all day and has expanded through out the day. I turned my leds down and will slowly bring them up over the next few weeks. I think with out the cipro treatment this nem would have never made it.

good luck with him.

joeyjoe35
06/23/2013, 01:38 PM
Just updating it's been in the dt for about a month now and it hasn't deflated and eats once a week. The color has been returning and tentacles are looking shaggier. The gig climbed off and away from the rocks and planted himself in the sand. I know I'm not out of the water yet but its definitely a good start.

cichlidconvert
06/23/2013, 02:29 PM
Hey it looks great man! Much improved, has it already been a month? Time fly's when it's not your gig:)

OrionN
06/23/2013, 04:44 PM
He is a great looking green Gigantea. Lots of luck with him. Hope he will be with you for a long time. :)

aandfsoccr04
06/23/2013, 06:02 PM
That sure is a beautiful specimen you have there. Hope it stays with you for a long time.

ct_vol
06/24/2013, 09:44 PM
Hey it looks great man! Much improved, has it already been a month? Time fly's when it's not your gig:)

Lol If that's not the truth, I don't know what is!

Looking good. Best of luck! :thumbsup:

hobogato
06/25/2013, 08:25 AM
definitely heading in the right direction, great job.