PDA

View Full Version : What did LFS sell me (chem question)

marietrg
05/19/2013, 06:36 PM
Trying to figure out what the LFS sold me. Gave me two bags of white powder and told me to dissolve in 2 gallon plastic containers

One is labeled "KH"

the other is labeled "in-buffer"

Go two instruction sheets. One says highly effective alkalinity increasing buffer powdered blend. The other says Seachem Reef Buffer.

Which do I use and when:)

Adamw327
05/19/2013, 07:40 PM
...Why would you buy something you have no idea what it is, how its used, or if you need it?

That said. Rule of thumb is dont add anything your not testing for. KH stands for alkalinity i believe, the other is probably a PH buffer or something, which is unnecessary...

You could try googling Seachem Reef Buffer to see what its used for... extremely odd purchase..

NeilFox
05/19/2013, 07:45 PM
It's baking soda. I hope you didn't pay alot for it. You now have a lifetime supply. You may not need it.

thegrun
05/19/2013, 10:09 PM
The product they sold you is used to raise your alkalinity. Alkalinity levels is important if you plan on keeping corals, for fish only tanks water changes are usually sufficient to maintain proper levels. If you know your tanks water chemistry levels and post them here we can help you decide what if any additives are appropriate for your tank.

Sk8r
05/19/2013, 10:12 PM
You also need an alkalinity test. Salifert is the brand I use. If your alkalinity is too low (should be between 8.3-9.3 on the dkh scale), you add buffer.

mikem101
05/19/2013, 10:27 PM
You also need an alkalinity test. Salifert is the brand I use. If your alkalinity is too low (should be between 8.3-9.3 on the dkh scale), you add buffer.

Is that for fish only i know reefs are kept at this range and up to 13 but i didnt know fish only require a 8.3? i was always told a 6-7 would be fine?