PDA

View Full Version : Revive killed my SPS

sweeper7
05/20/2013, 10:21 AM
So I dipped my Birdsnest in revive yesterday due to red bugs and now it's turned completely white and looks like it died in 4 hours. I thought this shut was safe?

blakers82
05/20/2013, 10:45 AM
Did you alter the directions in anyway or follow to the T? Many on here use Revive including myself. It has been a fairly safe dip IMO. Certain corals seem to have issue with ANY dipping, but Seriatopora hasn't been one for me. Perhaps this coral was plenty stressed. It could have been the last straw. It really could happen to any coral.

Drae
05/20/2013, 10:52 AM
So I dipped my Birdsnest in revive yesterday due to red bugs and now it's turned completely white and looks like it died in 4 hours. I thought this shut was safe?

I doubt it was the revive. I bet it was already really stressed and on its way out anyway. Seriatopara, minus the birds of paradise, are pretty tough.

rtbm
05/20/2013, 10:59 AM
Fwiw. Red bugs do not affect birdsnests

Jeremy B.
05/20/2013, 11:14 AM
Fwiw. Red bugs do not affect birdsnests

I thought the exact same thing myself, never seen red bugs on any Seriatapora spp. before.

Bigcefa
05/20/2013, 11:37 AM
False they do indeed hop on birdsnest, first hand experience

Andyf30
05/20/2013, 11:44 AM
I'm gonna say it was on its last legs. I've personally dipped 2 different species of birds nests in Revive, and neither have had any issues.

sweeper7
05/20/2013, 12:04 PM
Why would It be on its last straw? It's Groen more than ever before the past month

SPotter
05/20/2013, 12:11 PM
how long did you dip it for? have you made any other changes to your system recently...new bulbs, longer photo period, new gfo...etc?

animalkingdom
05/20/2013, 01:30 PM
maybe a major parameter swing between dip water and tank??

doosiec
05/20/2013, 01:35 PM
Red Bugs and Flat Worms only affect Acropora Species only.

Not Seriatopora or Hyacinth Species ( Birdnest's )

I've never dipped Birdnest's, they don't have any natural predators that I'm aware of besides poor husbandry.

The Birdnest itself, was probably stressed, and possibly misuse of Revive.

Not blaming you, but it's from the data collected that lead to my speculation.

Jeremy B.
05/20/2013, 03:12 PM
If anyone who is reporting to have red bugs on their Seriatapora can you please post some photos? I'm certainly not saying it can't happen, but it would indeed by very rare and having some documentation of it here would be helpful.

karsseboom
05/20/2013, 03:18 PM
This is not surprising revive is known to be very harsh on Sps. I will not use this as a dip anymore. There are many threads regarding revive.

Andyf30
05/20/2013, 03:29 PM
This is not surprising revive is known to be very harsh on Sps. I will not use this as a dip anymore. There are many threads regarding revive.

That's why I use less than the recommended dose, and allow for a longer time in the dip. I've never lost a coral from this, and managed to not only eradicate red bugs from my system by dipping all affected corals with this method 3 times over the period of 2 weeks, I've also not had any new pests come in because I've dipped everything. It shouldn't be hard on the corals if used correctly.

karsseboom
05/20/2013, 03:53 PM
That's why I use less than the recommended dose, and allow for a longer time in the dip. I've never lost a coral from this, and managed to not only eradicate red bugs from my system by dipping all affected corals with this method 3 times over the period of 2 weeks, I've also not had any new pests come in because I've dipped everything. It shouldn't be hard on the corals if used correctly.

There are better alternatives to revive, that are not as harsh. Revive might be okay on some stronger corals but once you start dipping smooth skin acros with revive your bound to loose a few. Grab a bottle of bayor insect killer and have some peice in mind. Its cheaper and easy to get.

On a side note I have dippped many many corals in revive and things have been fine but things have also rtn with in hours of dipping. Use with caution or be smart and use Bayor:lol2:

sweeper7
05/20/2013, 04:31 PM
I dipped pulsing Xenia once for like 30 seconds and that thing died as well. Heard Xenia n dips don't go well but as for my sps I'm shocked because I read a thread of someone using revive on his sps and it did wonders.

Dexters Reef
05/21/2013, 08:41 AM
I use revive on everything, but had my first fatality about 3 weeks ago. I noticed my ORA Blue Tip Turquoise Stag was being bitten by something, not sure exactly what it was, but the bite marks were on every branch. Had this guy for a while, grew from a 2" frag sick to a 6"x6" mini colony and never saw these marks until recently. I also have a rainbow monti that had lost all color, and was pale purple with no PE at all for about 2 months.

I had just gotten 5 millie frags that day, and made a large batch of revive. I dipped the 5 millies together for 15 minutes, then dipped the rainbow monti and stag together for 15 minutes.

The stag was 100% RTN within a few hours of being returned into the tank. It didn't even look "that bad" before I dipped it. Great color, PE, just missing very very tiny patches of tissue in random spots on each branch. After about 2-3 hours, it had NO color, and was completely bare skeleton. I was shocked. I assume it was actually worse than it looked, and couldn't take the stress of the dip.

All my other corals were in the same batch of Revive, and are doing fine today. And a few days after the rainbow monti was dipped, its base color returned, and I am consistently getting full polyp extension with neon yellow and an orange ring forming around the outer parts, so the dip definitely helped heal this guy.

I would continue to use this product, and recommend it to others, but would warn that if a coral appears stressed it would be a good idea to use a lower dosage, or to dip for a shorter period of time.

premilove
05/21/2013, 09:21 AM
is revive even strong enough to fight red bugs? have you heard of Reef Pest Solutions, All Out dip? it seems awesome..

karsseboom
05/21/2013, 09:59 AM
is revive even strong enough to fight red bugs? have you heard of Reef Pest Solutions, All Out dip? it seems awesome..

Redbuds are like the easiest pest to eradicate. We're mostly referring to Aefw.

sahin
05/21/2013, 10:23 AM
I have been using Revive for dipping acros for many many years now.

Never had lost an acro because of dipping in Revive.

I also dip any deepwater acros in Revive, but for a shorter time period than other acros.

The instructions state to use 4 capfuls (40ml) in about 3.8L water and dip for some minutes.

I actually use 1 capful with about 0.5L or less water. So I am actually using around double dosage. I time with a stopwatch and dip for at least 2.5-3 minutes most acros. Smooth skin acros get a 2 minute or slightly less dip.

Over the years I have dipped over a hundred SPS coral frags. I've never lost an frag due to dipping.

(I have lost many corals over the years; most was due to AEFWs, disastrous incidents or due to use of carbon dosing etc).

If a coral specimen looks unhealthy, I dip using less strength and setup a quick QT: which is basically water from my display and a sponge I keep in my sump to contain bacteria.

The point of my post is that I just wanted to ensure that my positive experience of the product is noted here.

scrapz
05/21/2013, 10:34 PM
Been using revive for years at 5-10x strength for years. It doesn't kill healthy corals...

The only corals I won't dip in revive are very thin branced "deepwaters" like red dragon, harwkins echinata and similar species.

blakers82
05/22/2013, 01:21 AM
Why would It be on its last straw? It's Groen more than ever before the past month

You hadn't included much information in your original post. It might help your fellow reefers if you lent some more information on your system and your dipping procedures. I know there were some questions posed. For one, SPotter is on a good line of questioning in his post.

sahin
05/22/2013, 03:35 AM
Been using revive for years at 5-10x strength for years. It doesn't kill healthy corals...

Wow, that just shows that if the coral is healthy, you can use much higher strengths. Many thanks for confirming this.

The only corals I won't dip in revive are very thin branced "deepwaters" like red dragon, harwkins echinata and similar species.

I still dip the thin branched deepwaters. But you have to use less time and or less strength. I dipped a large frag of acropora Turaki (Echinanta?) frag about 6 months ago. Its now the size of a colony and growing nicely.

Anyway, more info is required as asked by some already.

doosiec
05/22/2013, 11:29 AM
Never loss any Acro's to revive here either.
And I use the concentrated blend of revive.

Easier to use, you can control how potent you want your doses.

Again, it's probably due to poor husbandry or the coral was never healthy to begin with.