PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead in Sump?

GrimReefer555
05/21/2013, 01:42 PM
So, I've seen some people recommend placing a powerhead in their sumps, to tumble chaeto. I was considering doing it to increase coralline algae growth. I run a sump with no sand, a reverse timer for chaeto, and I use the refugium area as a detritus trap. During water changes, I get all kinds of gunk out of there. My concern is that I don't use filter socks, and think that would just pump detritus back into my DT. I have a sponge in between the last baffles, but think a lot could still get through. Thoughts?

thegrun
05/21/2013, 02:18 PM
I simply flip my chaeto ball twice a week. I do clean out my refugium and sump every 6-9 months.

GrimReefer555
05/21/2013, 04:33 PM
I simply flip my chaeto ball twice a week. I do clean out my refugium and sump every 6-9 months.

And you get good growth? I am not getting growth, nor recession, and think it may be due to my GFO, lack of PO4's, and lack of movement of the chaeto. I imagine that's a good thing, as my tank is running really clean... Also, I want the coralline to grow faster and more evenly in the sump. I've noticed the red encrusting coralline growing upward toward the light, and would love to have a refugium with large bright red colonies branching, as well as the shades of green, pink, and purple corallines.