PDA

View Full Version : Mp40 not selling like it used to??

heatdissipation
05/21/2013, 03:25 PM
I used to see mp40's selling as soon as they were listed for the asking price of the owner. But now I seem to be seeing a lot of "bumps" or "price reduced". Is this because of the wp40 being so much cheaper, and do you think this will have any affect on the market for internal pumps? No arguing about the usual stuff between the two. Just wondering if what I think I am seeing is a trend or???

AQD_ottawa
05/21/2013, 03:30 PM
Maybe everyone buys new now because we cant keep the in stock. Just a thought.

Allmost
05/21/2013, 03:31 PM
personal opinion .... but I think MP40 and WP40 would have different classes of customers.

jda
05/21/2013, 03:34 PM
They aren't back ordered or hard to get anymore. If even close to retail when selling used, you can buy new for a few bucks more. They have taken the typical supply/demand path IMO.

James77
05/21/2013, 03:34 PM
I used to see mp40's selling as soon as they were listed for the asking price of the owner. But now I seem to be seeing a lot of "bumps" or "price reduced". Is this because of the wp40 being so much cheaper, and do you think this will have any affect on the market for internal pumps? No arguing about the usual stuff between the two. Just wondering if what I think I am seeing is a trend or???

The market of used pumps will become saturated at some point. There aren't all that many of us in the hobby :) I think the WP40s impact will be greatly tied to its yet unproven long term reliability. Personally I would not buy them even were they reliable.

heatdissipation
05/21/2013, 03:36 PM
I think we are all in the same class. Reef enthusiasts. Class warfare has no place in a hobby like ours. I'm asking seriously here, as I have both of these pumps, won't express my opinion either way, due to the extreme arguments in other posts, just wondering if this will have any impact on this individual market

cakemanPA
05/21/2013, 03:45 PM
A thread am MP40's and WP40's and you don't want arguing... LOL... I don't think that the market has been hurt by the WP40's at all. The MP40s that I had never made it onto the for sale section here. They were purchased locally with no price adjustment from what I was asking.

heatdissipation
05/21/2013, 04:10 PM
Right. Seems impossible that no arguing will happen, but I still have faith in my fellow reefers. I'm just expressing my opinion on a trend I have seen lately and I could be wrong, I just don't ever remember so many bumps and reduced price happening like I have seen lately.

jda
05/21/2013, 04:26 PM
It happened with the tunze too IIRC. New to market => hard to get => used prices near new => supply gets normal => used market gets normal.

In your opinion, are the increased bumps for fair/average used prices, or are they really close to retail still?

heatdissipation
05/21/2013, 04:31 PM
IMO they are going down. Ten and twenty dollars at a time and still bumps after that. Fair market or not is a matter of opinion. If I wanted another mp40 i would spend whatever necessary to get one that I thought was a good price And if I wanted another wp40 I would spend whatever I thought was a good price for that pump. No matter the price difference between the two

Ron Reefman
05/21/2013, 04:36 PM
I think it's way to early to judge if the Jebao pumps will have any affect on Tunze or Eco Tech. They are so new and completely unadvertised that a lot of less geeky than us reefers don't even know there is a Jebao pump. We'll see where the market is about MACNA time next Fall.

GrimReefer555
05/21/2013, 04:42 PM
When I see them reduced, it's most often because they were asking more than the going rate based on the mfg date and usage... And I do feel the two pumps are in two different classes. MPs are high end, WPs are low to mid grade with promises of almost high end performance. It's a matter of the original vs the generic knock off. Even when modified for adjustability, they still don't even come close to the original, IMO

heatdissipation
05/21/2013, 04:45 PM
What is considered the original?

Fryman
05/21/2013, 04:45 PM
Tough to predict, and I agree there will be very strong opinions either way. Guess we'll just have to wait & see.

IMHO competition is good for us consumers, so the WPXX are a welcome addition to the market. But this isn't the first time a cheaper alternative has come along & caused lots of excitement and speculation. When the Koralia Evolution pumps came out people raved about them for months. Some thought they would put Tunze / Ecotech out of business. Now I've owned a half-dozen Evos, and in my experience they lose power and/or quit completely in about a year of use. I still buy them, 'cause it's sooo much cheaper it still works out in my favor even if I have to replace them every year, but I only use my remaining evos for things like mixing & on the quarantine tank. I look at them more like a consumable rather than equipment.

Just my experience (please don't flame me!)

ReachTheSky
05/21/2013, 05:08 PM
I believe the WP40 may have had an impact on the used market for Vortech/Tunze. Most folks who are or still were looking around for the used pumps were doing so to save money. It makes sense that the folks who are in favor of saving money would go for the much cheaper alternative.

toofrigginswt
05/21/2013, 05:17 PM
I'm not going to debate about which one is better. To answer the OP's original question of whether or not these pumps will affect the market, I predict yes!

Stores locally in my area have these for sale and are already pushing the WP40's over the MP40. They are also giving a 1 year warranty with these pumps. Anyone who frequents these forums who is starting a new tank or planning a redesign will probably consider the WP40 when looking at the Tunze and MP40. $900 on two Vortechs or $200 on two WP40? It's an easy decision for a lot of people. I definitely think that we'll see a drop in the used market prices for these pumps. As a matter of fact, I've already seen a drop in prices compared to what they use to be last year before the WP40's came out.

Again, this is only my prediction but I think we will see the prices for used MP40's in the $225-250 range. I'm not too sure whether or not Ecotech will drop their prices though.

To be honest, I actually think Tunze will be affected by this more than Ecotech. Or maybe not. haha... maybe I'm just talking out of my arssse.

brad908
05/21/2013, 05:38 PM
Mp40 used for $225-250? Lmao

Keep dreaming

cakemanPA
05/21/2013, 06:39 PM
I got $275 each for my paid. So go ahead and LUAO

Keep dreaming

HUNTER1
05/21/2013, 06:54 PM
Jebao has a great impact, people already ordering the other jebao wp25 without even seeing it in action because of the price and quiet one. These are the people would be buying the tunze or ecotech pumps if jebao didn't exist and I'm one of them. I cant spend that much money on a pump as loud as a grinding machine like ecotech.

heatdissipation
05/21/2013, 06:57 PM
I have a feeling this thread is headed down a dark path. :-(. Not what I was intending

moondoggy4
05/21/2013, 07:21 PM
300 to 400 bucks is still a lot of money for anything in this hobby, so at times it is hard to sell things for a lot of money, summer is starting up people attention are turning to other things, things are faddish people want to spend 800 on a new Led light but think a BNIB Giesemann Spectra 24'' 250 watt 4 X 24' brand new for 750 is out of the question.

cakemanPA
05/21/2013, 07:40 PM
300 to 400 bucks is still a lot of money for anything in this hobby, so at times it is hard to sell things for a lot of money, summer is starting up people attention are turning to other things, things are faddish people want to spend 800 on a new Led light but think a BNIB Giesemann Spectra 24'' 250 watt 4 X 24' brand new for 750 is out of the question.
I think this is spot on man

aquaman05
05/21/2013, 09:30 PM
I was about to buy a used mp40 for 375 several times on here till I ran across the wp40 threads and went that route . What helped me make my decision was the high price for the pump up front then all the money for the wet side when it goes out. I'm not sure if these are driving the prices on the used forum down or not but they do seem to be dropping somewhat.

ca1ore
05/21/2013, 10:25 PM
I think used prices cycle up and down, particularly things like the MP40 that are frequently available. Asking $400 plus for a used pump, even if only lightly used, is penny-wise/pound-foolish IMO - you'd be better off buying a new one. So at that price, bumps are likely. AT around $350, though, is worth the risk.

But think about it .... first seller moves pump easily at $350 ... next seller notes that and sells easily at $375 .... next seller notes that but get very little interest at $400 .... next seller notes that and sells unit easily at $375 .... natural cycle of price elasticity.

karsseboom
05/21/2013, 10:34 PM
The price of used mp40 has gone down because the market is flooded with them. A couple years ago they were a rare site, now everyone has one. There just not that exclusive anymore. There not the coolest thing on the block anymore. Still a solid pump...wish they were quieter.

toofrigginswt
05/22/2013, 02:30 AM

Keep dreaming

Right back at ya buddy. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2287080.

One MP40 for $250 or buy two for $450. Still laughing? Because I am.

jerpa
05/22/2013, 07:48 AM
To be fair those are 2nd generation. That's a typical price for the non eco smart models that are out of warranty.

toofrigginswt
05/22/2013, 01:20 PM
To be fair those are 2nd generation. That's a typical price for the non eco smart models that are out of warranty.

Understood. But my initial comment was just on a used MP40 in general. I wasn't excluding any generation.

coral_lagoon
05/22/2013, 01:21 PM
I just sold one of my Mp40s here for $250..

chercm
05/22/2013, 04:53 PM
I sold my mp60w and used the money for 2 x wp40 and the rest on corals lol

ssteal
05/22/2013, 06:32 PM
In the last year I have had 6 mp40ws and 2 mp40wes on all 8 pumps I spent a combine total of 950$ :)