PDA

View Full Version : How many sheets of Nori should I use?

Spar
05/23/2013, 06:13 AM
Each morning I put in a full sheet of Nori (the approximate 5"x5" standard sheets) and within an hour it is completely gone. Quite a bit gets shredded and distributes across the tank, but the fish seem to be eating most of it.

The fish that eat it:
1x 6" Naso Tang
4x 3" Blue/Regal Tangs
1x 6" Foxface Rabbit
2x 4" Yellow Tangs
1x 5" Tenennti Tang
1x 4" Sailfin Tang

Few other smaller fish help out but those guys do most of the work.

Should I be adding in 2 sheets in the morning or am I starting to look at overkill? This is in my 450g.

Guygettnby
05/23/2013, 06:31 AM
i would stay with the one sheet. make it abit more difficult for the fish to just rip off huge chunks. if you feel the fish need more for some reason, give them another sheet later on.

just my .02 cents

Mouse
05/23/2013, 11:03 AM
How are you putting the Nori in the tank? Perhaps tear it into 3 pieces, 1 on a clip, 1 rubber banded to a piece of PVC hung at the surface, etc etc...

d2mini
05/23/2013, 11:51 AM
I fold mine up into a smaller square and attach to the clip. Keeps it from tearing up so easily.

anbosu
05/23/2013, 12:31 PM
If you want to feed more I would feed another sheet in the evening.

Palting
05/23/2013, 01:35 PM
Tangs have a tendecy to rip the nori in chunks and leave a big mess with uneaten nori chunks ending up in powerheads and overflows. I've found that folding the sheet then cutting them so they look like "stringers" makes for less of a mess. They rip of a string, nibble then swallow it whole. A lot less messy, plus they get to eat most of the nori sheet. I would stick with one sheet a day for your fish. Here's a video:
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VGN-9TgV0qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spyderturbo007
05/24/2013, 08:41 AM
My tang and clownfish make a mess with it too and I haven't figured out a way to solve the problem. I guess I could rubber band it to a rock, but I hate jamming my hand in the tank every time I want to give him some.

I've tried cutting it in strips, but he just rips them off and lets them go floating around the tank.

BrklynArch
05/24/2013, 09:16 AM
+ 1 to folding it and cutting it into thin strips, my tangs slurp it up like spaghetti lol
i only feed a 2" x 2" piece every other day or so ( 3 med size tangs) ..... prob should bump it up some i guess