PDA

View Full Version : need some help during fallow time

dh50
05/23/2013, 10:46 AM
Am currently going through a fallow period after what appears to have been velvet killed all my fish. Im in my 6th week of a 12 week fallow period as recommended by you guys. i have now purchased a 37 gal tank for quarantine but have not yet set up. This tank came as an all included set up with small led light and bio-wheel filter. i have a few questions because i don't want to have another fish die if i can prevent it. First i dont know much about cycling a tank but is the frozen shrimp method the best for this tank? Do you recommend medicating the new fish or just watch for disease? How long to quarantine? And my big question is can i quarantine more than one fish at a time to hopefully cut down a little on my wait time. I understand the need for patience here and i want to be successful but after a 12 week cycle about two weeks with fish before the big kill and now back to a 12+ week fallow period because of disease im just tired of lookin at rock and sand. Thanks

Cymonous
05/23/2013, 11:13 AM
That tank should be fine. You will also need a heater and air pump/air stone. Also add in some PVC pieces for the fishes to hide in. You don't have to cycle the tank. You can just go with the emergency route, just keep an eye on Ammonia, extra make-up water and ammonia detoxifier on-hand. I usually just dose prazipro for 1-2 weeks as a pre-caution. It doesn't hurt fish at all. You want to quarantine generally for 4-6 weeks with no signs of disease. You should be able to quarantine a couple fish at least with that size tank. it kinda depends on which fish you want to get (depending on their size, aggression, and bioload).

dh50
05/23/2013, 03:09 PM
thanks

Palting
05/23/2013, 03:54 PM
I'm not so sure I agree with Cynomous. I prefer waiting and taking things easy rather than rushing and working hard. Frequent (daiy?) water changes and worrying about ammonia would likely give me ulcers and a bad back. I would rather let the QT cycle properly with dead shrimp or ghost feeding and just let things ride for a while, twiddle my thumbs, stare at rocks in the tank and dream. Once the QT is cyled, then again easy to do a once a week water change (or less) as you run several QT and treat cycles with each new fish. Maybe I'm lazy, but my way is longer but seems a heck of a lot easier and less stressful.

dh50
05/23/2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks for your input Palting