PDA

View Full Version : Increasing PH

Joel_155
05/23/2013, 08:20 PM
Hi All,
I have a question and I need the help of the chemistry forum. Right now I basically have a softies tank with a few LPS pieces and a monti cap. The softies consist of pulsing zenia (which is all over the tank..so much that I need to get rid of some of it) and GSP. For LPS I have an acan echinata (which I can't ever get to color up completely) another random frag of acans ( I don't know what kind ) and a lobophylia that I just got. As far as equipment I have tunze 6105 for flow in the tank, AI's for light, skimmer, bio pellet's, an osomolator and an APEX. I also run carbon in a reactor and I think I'm going to add GFO to help reduce my PO4.
Right now my PH stays anywhere from 7.7 to 7.9 depending on the time of the day. I thought about adding Kalkwasser to my ATO and adding PH to the programming for that but right now with my coral composition my tank doesn't really burn through Calc or alk. I'm getting better testing kits right now as the API tests don't work for me but I thought if I could get my PH into the 8.1 to 8.2 range that would help the growth with my LPS. Thoughts on how to do this? Thanks in advance for the help!!

disc1
05/23/2013, 08:57 PM
If alkalinity is right, then low pH is caused by high levels of dissolved CO2. Get rid of the CO2 and the pH will rise. Often times, just opening a window near the tank will help.

Joel_155
05/23/2013, 09:34 PM
I'll try that. Thanks!

Joel_155
05/23/2013, 09:36 PM
Also what about adding a solution of baking soda and rodi water?

bertoni
05/23/2013, 10:36 PM
Baking soda is a good alkalinity supplement, but you should test the tank level before dosing. Baking soda actually will lower the pH a bit when added, but the effect is very small and very temporary.

Osteoclast
05/24/2013, 04:33 PM
The easiest way is as you described: Kalk in the ATO. In many forums it is simple solution. Kalk reactors are popular as well. Spend money on good kits as well, it is worth it. ATO Kalk works well for me.

machodik
05/24/2013, 07:19 PM
Dear All,

I am a newly user of Kalkwasser. the reason why I opted to try Kalkwasser with my very minimal understanding of this substance is because:

1) I want to balance my Alk and Calcium level , specially my KH inorder not to constantly keep adding baking soda every 4 to 5 days. (my KH drops is mainly due to my sulfur denitrator).

2) I want to drop Po4 as I learned that Kalkwasser precipitate phosphate thus reduce the said substance.

now, my questions;

with a daily evoporate rate of 1.5 liters per day, in a 440 liters total volume system, will my ATO with kalkwasser mixture able to maintain my ALK level? fyi, I am now mixing at 2 teaspoon Kalkwasser per 4 liters (a gallon) RO water. should I increase it to 3 teaspoon? but as the saturation point is 2 teaspoon / gallon, so if I add more kalkwasser, will it be over saturated and unable to dilute excees kalkwasser in the ro water?

hope , user of kalkwasser could share some thoughts , experience and proper way or comment to a beginner like me.

cheers,