PDA

View Full Version : Help with sump

RaphaelReef
05/25/2013, 08:14 PM
Ok so I have a 150 gallon drilled tank with built in overflow my problem is that my overflow that drains into my sump is draining faster than the overlfow is putting water in creating a sucking noise. Any Ideas? if I push the return hose below the water the noise stops for a minute but than it sucks out to much water and the noise starts again.

bnumair
05/25/2013, 08:33 PM
please post a pic. it will help better to identify whats going on.
this is what its suppose to look like.
inverted "J" with a hole on top with a air tube reaching higher than tank.
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h353/bnumair/drain1_zps704ad275.png

hogfanreefer
05/25/2013, 08:42 PM
Sounds like your return pump can't keep up with your drain. A gate valve in the drain line would let you adjust it. If there is no air hole like bnumair said, it will be a full siphon and even a small drain line can carry a lot of water in full siphon.

RaphaelReef
05/26/2013, 03:38 AM
is this something I can add at the opening of the hose or do i need to take it completly apart. My tank is about a month old and I didn't have this problem till a few days ago so I have some live stuff can't really drain it to take it apart hopefully I can just install at the end of the line

Sonyardo
05/26/2013, 08:17 AM
There's a balancing act that has to happen on your part with air and water flow. They are not all designed the same so that's why the previous poster was asking for a pic. If you look up durso standpipe images, you will notice that some of them have a way to control air flow. That allows them to make small adjustments to allow for quiet operation.

RaphaelReef
05/26/2013, 02:40 PM
could it it be that there is not enough water in the overflow? it seems when I add a little water it stops for a minute or too

Sonyardo
05/26/2013, 07:02 PM
The extra water is just masking the problem for a minute. What is your estimated gph thru the drains/sump at this point? Do you have a way to restrict the flow (ball valve/gate valve) between the return pump and the DT? If so then close the gate valve a little and see if it doesn't solve the problem. What return pump are you using?

RaphaelReef
05/26/2013, 07:53 PM
no i have no way to restrict it, its a mag drive 12 return pump

Sonyardo
05/26/2013, 09:53 PM
Do you have two overflow boxes plumbed independently? Or two drains tied together?
One larger drain?

RaphaelReef
05/27/2013, 04:48 AM
Not really sure it's a built in overflow so there is only one drain.

Sonyardo
05/27/2013, 08:54 AM
do you know what size the drain pipe is?

Palting
05/27/2013, 09:03 AM
Here is what a built in overflow generally looks like. This is a corner overflow, but it can also be a single central one.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/Kalawing/Misc/Megaflow.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Kalawing/media/Misc/Megaflow.jpg.html)

Mag 12 puts out 1200gph at zero head, and is rated at 1120-1130gph at 4-5 foot head.

Most single built in drains have a capacity of 750gph. So, we need to know what your drain capcity is. Knowing your brand of tank and tank dimensions can help figure it out, or, alternatively, let us know the size of your drain tubing. Otherwise, if this is a standard reef ready built in drain, my best guess is that your Mag 12 is putting out too much gph and that is why your drains are surging and gurgling and making sucking noises..

Post a photo of your tank set-up, to include the built in drain.