PDA

View Full Version : Started my sump build today

Saltliquor
05/26/2013, 12:58 PM
My display is only a 29g, but ive been thinking about a sump and i think the extra water volume is gonna be a big help. Plus I really enjoy DIY fish projects. I picked up a 10g from Petsmart, Its a simple 3 chamber setup, Im using a Hydor slim skim nano for a skimmer, so the water level in the first chamber is going to be right around 11 inches. Immediately following the skimmer chamber i have a 3 baffel bubble trap spaced 1 inch apart. Now my first concern is the first chamber water level is about a quarter inch from the top of the sump. Im assuming the flow in the first chamber is going to be regulated by the GPH on my return pump? so i can dial it in as needed? Im nervous about overflowing because of only having a quarter inch of room.

The return pump is a Hydor 740 GPH, I just placed an order for a Life Reef over flow box, rated up to 600 GPH, (Their website appears as it was made in the 90s, I almost didnt order because of it but the reviews on their products forced me to try it). Im guessing i'll be running the system at about half the rated specs, roughtly 300GPH or less, The Hydor pump has a dial to tone down the flow rate, but i'll be installing a ball valve above it aswell.

So i have two chambers occupied, The water level in the second chamber i have set at about 8.5 inches, but i dont have anything to put in it at the moment, i was considering a deep sand bed but I was reading about nitrate issues, any suggestions as to what i should stick in there? or just leave it empty for now? Also, My heater is fairly long, and would work perfectly in the chamber with the skimmer due to the water level, is there any issues with putting it in the first chamber? Ive seen most people putting it in the second, kind of angled to be fully submerged.

Any advice, tips or criticisms are welcome, Thanks

oscarinw
05/26/2013, 07:51 PM
1/4 of an inch at the top seems a little high of a water level. Although my worries are more about the setup for making use of the space above the sump instead of your flow. Heater in the skimmer chamber shouldn't have to be a big problem although for efficiency purposes you don't want it covered on bubbles, but not a big issue.
Also, a deep sand bed should help you with nitrate management, so I'm unsure about your concern here on the 2nd chamber use. I'd definitely go for the deep sand bed.
Finally,300gph flow from your return is more than appropriate and even a little high if all of that is going over your deep sand bed and if you plan a refugium for it. (Macro algae movememnt and pod environment issues...
I have heard a 4 or 5 times turnaround on top of it is more than enough. You are going for 10 times.
Good luck with things!

Saltliquor
05/27/2013, 12:53 AM
1/4 of an inch at the top seems a little high of a water level. Although my worries are more about the setup for making use of the space above the sump instead of your flow. Heater in the skimmer chamber shouldn't have to be a big problem although for efficiency purposes you don't want it covered on bubbles, but not a big issue.
Also, a deep sand bed should help you with nitrate management, so I'm unsure about your concern here on the 2nd chamber use. I'd definitely go for the deep sand bed.
Finally,300gph flow from your return is more than appropriate and even a little high if all of that is going over your deep sand bed and if you plan a refugium for it. (Macro algae movememnt and pod environment issues...
I have heard a 4 or 5 times turnaround on top of it is more than enough. You are going for 10 times.
Good luck with things!

Thanks for the response, I can certainly dial down the flow, i was unsure what a good rate would be, 4-5 can be done. I think the one review i read about deep sand beds may have not been accurate. I'll dig into that further.
Thanks again