PDA

View Full Version : Switching back to T5, Should I keep my UV LED's?

LoJack
05/26/2013, 03:19 PM
As the title states, I'm switching from a 72x3w Cree LED System to an ATI Sunpower 8x54w T5 system.

Currently, I also have two heatsinks with 12 UV LED's that run seperate from the rest of my LED's

Is it worth keeping them as supplementary lighting when I make the switch to T-5?

The tank is 55x24x24

ashnat
05/26/2013, 07:58 PM
Is there a reason why you are switching back. I have a T5 setup now and was thinking of switching to LED's.

LoJack
05/26/2013, 08:01 PM
I'm not happy with the results of the LED's. The light is very directional and casts a lot of shadows, the shimmer is too erratic. The color is just not what I want it to be. I had horrible growth and coloration until I added the UV. There has been slight improvement, but just not as much as I was expecting with high quality LED's.

akitareefer
05/26/2013, 08:15 PM
I've read a number of builds of people who add a strip of leds (blue) with their t5s. I believe its only used to bring out the color of the coral not really to supplement growth. Its worth a try since the UVs are blueish.

I have a diy fixture with rb, white and UV (plucked off all the disco optics). Its now over my ZOA prop area, which is about the only thing its good for lol.

Michigan Mike
05/27/2013, 01:11 AM
As the title states, I'm switching from a 72x3w Cree LED System to an ATI Sunpower 8x54w T5 system.

Currently, I also have two heatsinks with 12 UV LED's that run seperate from the rest of my LED's

Is it worth keeping them as supplementary lighting when I make the switch to T-5?

The tank is 55x24x24

Are you thinking about selling them or something? Why not try them with the t5.
Either way you will get your color & growth with an 8 bulb Sunpower.

I'm thinking of using my 4x24 Sunpower and adding 2 RB LED strips to it for supplement lighting on a new tank, 40b SPS dominate.