PDA

View Full Version : another plumbing question

Skynet
05/26/2013, 05:55 PM
i live in Pasadena, ca trying to buy a glass aquarium from a store but whenever I ask them to drill me a herbie style drain whole they all seem to steer me away from that and just want to sell me the style from the bottom up, is there any aquarium place that will do as I request or is that only possible with a DYI. looking for a 50R (36x15x20) any help will help...thanks

twistedfinn967
05/26/2013, 06:06 PM
Have you considered drilling it yourself? It's not near as difficult as you might think.

Savant
05/26/2013, 06:12 PM
You mean your looking for a tank that has 2 return holes? Just keep in mind that the bottoms of most tanks are tempered and cant be drilled so if that is the route your looking to go you might be better off finding a tank that has the configuration your looking for already in place or go with a custom builder. Your other options would be an external overflow, you have many choices with those set ups from off the shelf, custom or DIY

Skynet
05/26/2013, 06:13 PM
trying to avoid a DYI if at all possible, but I have no choice I guess, if anybody shows someone or somewhere go, plz

Skynet
05/27/2013, 09:43 AM
Help, local reefers, if anyone know a place where they can drill a herbie style two drain wholes on the side of the aquarium, let me know

Sonyardo
05/27/2013, 09:58 AM
There was a guy in Tustin that was big on drilling tanks but he closed the shop down. I think most of the hole drilling is done by DIY'ers. You could always take it to a glass shop.

FishysPlace
05/27/2013, 01:25 PM
I had my LFS drill two holes for $40. Later I wanted a 3rd and bought a bit and did it myself. I basically bought the LFS bit for them and could have saved $40.
If you look at BRS they have YouTube videos on how to drill the glass yourself. Was I nervous? Yes. Was it simple? Yes.
That's why I recommend DIY.