PDA

View Full Version : Double checking my logic

Theokie
05/26/2013, 10:13 PM
My first Saltwater system, 4 yrs in the making after 25 yrs of freshwater

To start the cycle on my system, (150+40 Display, 75 Refugium, 55 used as sump, with 20 gallon above tank pod fuge), I bought live rock from 3 established tanks for a total of 225 lbs, I added 150lbs of new sand to the various tanks. I then threw in a raw shrimp to provide ammonia, as well as 3 cubes frozen brine

Over the course of 3 days I could never detect ammonia with either an intank badge or a Red Sea test kit.

I then went on a work trip for 9 days. Over the nine days the algae bloomed in the tank to a lovely green and red hairy mess my other half sent me photos as the bloom progressed to ease my worry while I was away.

When I got home I tested for nitrate and phosphate with Red Sea test kits, both read zero. Doubting the kits I bought Hanna Checkers for each and again, results were zero.

My question is, with all established live rock, did I miss the cycle? As well did this initial bloom of algae suck up all the nitrate and phosphate?

Would it be safe to start introducing a few snails or am I jumping the gun here?

Running a reef octopus Diablo 10" Dc skimmer that had about an inch of dark black gunk when I got home as well as an ATO controlled by an Apex. All water is made from RO/DI at 0 TDS with Reef Crystals Salt. Salinty checked with refractometer. Temp at 78

The fuge only as live rock in the dark right now installing an ATS in the next week, along with fuge lights for macros, mangroves and Xenia

Any and all advice appreciated

bnumair
05/27/2013, 12:29 AM
with all live rock and established live rock u may not see a cycle. u can double sure urself by adding couple of deli shrimp to ur tank and check for ammonia next day. if none take the shrimp out and ur tank is ready.
Nitrates and phos can be consumed by algae lot faster than ur test kit can pick up.
good luck and welcome to this hobby.

sjwitt
05/27/2013, 04:56 AM
I would say you're safe to add snails and your Clean Up Crew.

thegrun
05/27/2013, 06:45 AM
I wouldn't expect you to have a cycle with the way you set up your tank, you are safe to add your cuc and first fish after they have been through quarantine.

KeepNitReel
05/27/2013, 06:59 AM
If you really want to make sure your tank is cycled. Try dosing 5ppm of pure ammonia (I use ace hardware janitorial ammonia)
However it sound like your tank is already cycled, so I wouldn't even bother.

Cloudburst2000
05/28/2013, 03:36 AM
how can cycle the water faster?

You don't cycle the water. The cycle is the good bacteria building up on your rocks. You can experience a quicker cycle if you use more live rock and opposed to dry rock. Using more live rock will be more expensive though. A good way to kick start the cycle once you have your rock and water in the aquarium is to chuch a deli shrimp in the aquarium to decay. This gives a good source of ammonia to start the cycle.

Fizz71
05/28/2013, 08:39 AM
+1 on the others saying you're already cycled. You could lose a whole fish in 225lbs of live rock and not see ammonia. :) ..especially since the bacteria are probably starving to death at this point.

oscarinw
05/29/2013, 08:32 AM
Only assuming all your rock was wet when introduced and didn't see die-off, I would totally agree on that you have a cycled tank my friend. Happy stocking.
Sounds like a nice setup too so please delight us with a pic or 2.
Good luck with things!