PDA

View Full Version : 2 part dosers

tmantaylor18
05/27/2013, 12:45 AM
Im going to set up a doser in the future but was wondering if you manual dosers have any issues with alk dropping within 24 hours. I get my alk up to about 9dkh every night. It's always around 8.3 before I dose. Do you think that .7 swing is big enough to worry about?

Also read on another forum that its better to separate your dosing of calcium and alkalinity by 12 hours and to dose alk at night. Have any of you found that to be true?

Im striving to have my aquarium be as stable as possible right now. Thanks

v1...rotate
05/27/2013, 05:03 AM
Im going to set up a doser in the future but was wondering if you manual dosers have any issues with alk dropping within 24 hours. I get my alk up to about 9dkh every night. It's always around 8.3 before I dose. Do you think that .7 swing is big enough to worry about?

When I set up a new tank I always manually dose for approximately 3-4weeks. I dose the amounts all in one go with no consequences to the corals.

You appear to be fully aware of the water stability requirements for an SPS tank therefore I'll keep it brief. Manually dosing once a day is fine (and is common for many people) however it isn't ideal IMO. A small swing of 0.7 ALK is not a major concern but introducing an automatic doser to dose a couple of times per day will certainly go along way to keeping your parameters even more stable.

Also read on another forum that its better to separate your dosing of calcium and alkalinity by 12 hours and to dose alk at night. Have any of you found that to be true?
I have never heard of nor done that. I dose ALK and Ca 10mins apart via an automatic doser. As long as you dose into an area of moderate/high flow there is no problem at all. If dosing directly into your display tank, never dose close to your corals, especially ALK!!

I'm no expert and mealy give opinions based on my experience and success.

In the long run, you will love having an automatic doser :dance:

MammothReefer
05/27/2013, 11:49 AM

Im striving to have my aquarium be as stable as possible right now. Thanks

I found it's better to dose more when my lights are on not off. (From a testing and stability standpoint). If I test my tank before the lights go on and after the lights go off, there is a swing as demand is higher when the lights are on and then my water gets buffered when the lights are off. Eventually when I migrate to my APEX I'm going to weight my doses heaver when the lights are on to minimize the daily swings.

Right now I have my doses split evenly between 12 doses over a 24 hour period. I just make sure to test as close as I can to the same time every time and as long as those numbers match up I don't worry about it. I dose ALK & CALC at the same time in a high flow area of my sump. Manually dosing is rough because you can't always control your routine/schedule.

tmantaylor18
05/27/2013, 03:03 PM
Thank you for your answers. What dosers are you guys using? Im eventually going to need one anyways for when I leave for a few weeks.

Dexters Reef
05/27/2013, 11:32 PM
Im using 2 BRS dosers that are each set to run 3x a day. I space Alk and CA by 30 minutes, and dose into the return section of my sump, right infront of a powerhead.

Anytime I test my tank, my alk is always 9.2 - 9.3 When I was dosing manually my daily swing was around .8, but since getting the dosing pumps, everything has been nice and stable

MammothReefer
05/28/2013, 01:49 AM
I'm running BRS dosers as well. I had GHL but I returned it because I couldn't break out the programming the same way I can with my APEX. (I was being overly picky)

epicurus84
05/28/2013, 02:05 AM
Currently i use the TM liquit refill. This is a 3 part dosing that can be dosed at the same time (do not put it al together) i really like the stuff.

Any dosing unit would be better then manually. However i don't like the AM dosing units. The BM (bubble magnus) are also pretty good from what i read.

sahin
05/28/2013, 07:33 AM
I am using the Fauna Marin Triple Doser for Mg, Ca and Alk.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/Sahin_UK/DSC_5928.jpg

It is the same as GHL. Very nice, very reliable and easy to use. Highly recommended if funds allow.

dowtish
05/28/2013, 10:17 AM
I dose with 1.1ml BRS dosers for ALk and Cal. I manually dose Mag when I need to as it seems to stay at the right numbers from my consistent WC's. I do have them dose 9 times throughout 9 hours. And I do dose ALK at night as I need it to help keep my ph more steady. I dose the Calcium during the day.

nvictor
05/28/2013, 07:27 PM
I have used the aquamedic dual doser and also the BRS dosers with Apex. Both work well.

If you have a controller then BRS is the way to go. If u do not have a controller then you can get any dual doser - most seem to work well but a controller gives you more options IMO.

rizon25
05/28/2013, 10:36 PM
I have three seaside aquatics dosers controlled by my apex neptune. Works great for me.