PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into the hobby

Bgrae001
05/27/2013, 09:29 AM
Greetings all. I have decided to get back into the hobby after a few years off. I used to have a 54 gal corner plumbed through the wall into my garage. My youngest son decided to feed the fish a years worth of food while I was deployed to Afghanistan so we decided to take it down at that time. I just finished remodeling the house and my wife said to me that she hated to admit that she missed the reef tank!! So with that being said I pulled the old 130 gal out of storage.

I bought this tank when I was stationed in Germany and I never put it to use. I just finished doing a leak check on the tank and it holds water. I'll be starting on the stand in a week or so. I'm planning on drilling it for overflows. I'll be posting pictures as it progresses. I decided to use left over hardwood from the floor for the stand over 2X4 construction. I have a 55 gal sump with an ETSS downdraft skimmer. I'll also be using an UV sterilizer and a calcium reactor. I decided to place the sump in the stand instead of plumbing it through the wall this time. I had a lot of issues with the old tank due to the heat in the garage last time (even with a chiller). I will however; be running some plumbing through the wall so I wont have to carry water into the house for water changes. I'll post pictures of that as well.

Wish me luck with the drilling, last time I attempted this I broke my tank, but, I was impatient too. This time I'll be using a drill stand to keep the bit square to the glass. I am also planning on ditching the 400w MHs and trying my hand at a DIY LED setup supplemented with 2 48" VHOs.

I'm glad to be back and I look forward to seeing how the hobby has changed in the last 5 years.

isnyc300
05/27/2013, 11:31 PM
welcome back! the new equipment should make it a lot easier for you this

dc
05/28/2013, 04:45 AM
[moved]

and welcome back.

SVTour
05/28/2013, 09:14 AM
Awesome...good luck with the build. I'm sure you'll improve many things you thought were issues last time around.

Making maintenance easy is the biggest key to success IMO.

Hope you post some progress pics along the way :thumbsup:

Bgrae001
06/01/2013, 04:09 PM
Hello again. I started making some progress. I got the stand about half way finished. I would have got it all finished but I have some homework to get done this weekend. I also got a late start today, nursing a hangover!!! lol.