PDA

View Full Version : Pukani rock clean

Dbondaruk
05/27/2013, 06:16 PM
So I gave my pukani rock a acid bath today. Got little cleaner but not all white,m guessing its impossible to get them all perfect white.i have 2 months till I use this rock.i just want to get it rid of phosphates. My main question is when I soak it in water and dose lanthum chloride can I use reg rodi water or does it have to be saltwater. I read somewhere where the low ph of reg water causes the reg to dissolve,,, is that true?

blakeorme
05/27/2013, 08:40 PM
I put my Pukani in a Rubbermaid 50gal trough with a heater, power head, and Salinity at 1.023 and let it cycle with no lights for 6weeks. When I got the display built and put the rock in, phosphates were 0. I disregarded all the water I used for the cycle and filled the tank with fresh RO/DI. BRS actually has a video where they recommend this for "cooking" the Pukani rock.

neuro
05/27/2013, 09:24 PM
I put my pukani and tonga I got from brs into a 30 gallon tumb and dosed with seaklear for about four months covered.

No heater, no salt, just seaklear and a power head. I also changed the water a few times.

I measured phosphates the entire time. It didn't reach zero, but it stopped decreasing after a while. I am running gfo now, and as long as I'm replacing gfo every so often, my phosphates are near or at zero. Thou I do think I have a heavy bio load.

My rock was practically white when I first put it in my tank. That doesn't last long however.

Dbondaruk
05/27/2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for inputs

Dbondaruk
05/28/2013, 07:49 PM
Started in saltwater.
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss210/daneek155/20130528_201449_zpsf6d92970.jpg