PDA

View Full Version : Banded Coral Shrimp HELP!

Salt_waterlover
05/27/2013, 10:04 PM
Just added a Banded Coral Shrimp to my aquarium as my clean up crew, i'm pretty nervous about it because i've heard a lot of mixed reviews about how they will sometimes attack other fish. Also, should I single him out when feeding so it want bother other fish?

Duna_
05/28/2013, 02:18 AM
You'll find as many different opinions as people who have them.

It's a fact that some kill small fish and shrimp, but I think we should have a look at more things (food, mates), because I may have been very lucky, TWICE, because mine (I had a pair which I lost in a tank disaster when the light went off; and I have bought another pair two months ago) have never killed anything.

I had the first pair with three small Azure damselfish (C. hemicyanea), and many other fishes, red-legged and blue-legged hermit crabs, red fire and peppermint shrimps.
The new pair I have now is kept with the same kind of fishes (I bought new ones), a blue-legg hermit crab, but no shrimps (I have then in a nano).

I now many have had bad experiences with this shrimp, but that's not my case. They are wonderfully huge, and well fed, they eat everything.

You should give them something they like, mine love pellets (Ocean Nutrition Formula One), and spirulina flakes, and pieces of salmon ... everything.
The male goes around for food and gives it in the mouth to the female. It's something very nice to see.

Corals won't be attacked by other medium or small fishes, because they know how to keep a distance to them. Just give the normal food and he'll get something. Or give him a piece of fish or pellets.

Salt_waterlover
05/28/2013, 06:54 AM
Okay, I just feed them a hour ago and he did eat some of the flakes. He was around the other fish and they looked calm so i'm happy about that. I'm just going to watch if for a few more days and see and if I don't like what i'm seeing I might just go for a Scarlet Skunk.