PDA

View Full Version : Ich :/

Roemer3
05/28/2013, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, I have a 90g reef, and a 20g reef, In the 20g reef I have a fish that was sick with ich, i was treating it, however it did not make it. I am trying to decide if i want to be done with the 20g and move all the rock and pumps into the 90 gallon and just work on that tank. Is ich something that will be in the live rock and could infect the 90 gallon by moving them into it or is it just something that is in the fish?

gone fishin
05/28/2013, 05:06 PM
As long as you keep the 20 gallon fishless for 10-12 weeks any ich left in the tank should die without a fish to host on. If you used copper to treat the fish then I would not use the rock.

Roemer3
05/28/2013, 05:22 PM
I would be moving the rock into the 90g tank, which is currently cycling, i have no fish in it at the moment.

Sk8r
05/28/2013, 05:22 PM
THere's a very explicit sticky on ich above, in this forum, and there is a whole forum called Fish Disease that will help you on RC.

If you used Cupramine or any copper treatment, you need to run PolyFilter until there no blue showing.

OTOH if you used one of the 'reef safe' ich treatments, it's probably not a great problem, as long you don't use the tank for fish for 12 weeks.

The 'reef safe' treatments don't work, so it's probably harmless to your rock and won't leave residue.

The BETTER use for your 20 would be as a quarantine tank. Strip to bare glass, get a pot filter (plain floss and carbon, changed when in the least dirty), and put your next fish in that, no sand, no rock, just an ammonia badge (SeaChem), and observe that fish for 4 weeks before putting it into your new tank. Then you will not have this grief again.

MrTuskfish
05/28/2013, 05:32 PM
^^^^^^^I agree^^^^^

It sounds like you treated ich in a reef tank. That won't kill the ich; but, depending on what you used, will kill the corals.