PDA

View Full Version : what do I spend money on next

danharmon396
05/28/2013, 07:38 PM
75 gal hex, tall. Eshopps overflow. 30 gal sump w/ 20 lbs sand. 78°. Amm - .5 ppm, nitrite - 1ppm, nitrate - 40 ppm. 10 lbs live rock 40 lbs sand in dt. Been cycling two weeks next wed.
question is - I will have more money to spend next week on it. Do I
1) get protein skimmer
2) more live rock
3) get qt going
4) get powerheads for internal flow
5) something else

And nitrate levels seem to indicate time for water change?
I need all of those things, but can not drop that much money at once. At this stage what is the best use of limited money. Will be a few more weeks before I can buy more.

tanked37
05/28/2013, 07:40 PM
Whatever you get just don't do a water change during a tank cycle!!

danharmon396
05/28/2013, 07:48 PM
ok. I've read both. I'll go with your guys' advice thou. Seems prudent to do what others knows works

dirtycontour
05/28/2013, 07:53 PM
RO/DI unit.
WCs will not hurt anything.

crsswift70
Well, you need more live rock and it might cause a mini cycle all it's own when you throw that in there if it isn't already from an established tank. Plus it's fascinating and you never know what you'll find attached or hitchhiking. You'll need the powerheads for flow no matter which direction you want the tank to go. Skimmer isn't a MUST but they do pull out some nasty stuff. That would be my order. I see someone else mentioned RO/DI unit. I got one eventually, but i just bought water from my LFS at the beginning since it gave me an excuse to visit :) You will want one eventually though.

humaguy
skimmer...

schatzi
05/28/2013, 07:55 PM
Dry rock, not live rock. Then powerheads.

CoralReeForrest
05/28/2013, 08:00 PM
Gonna need a light set up sooner or later, for me personally that's been one of my biggest decisions as I have all my other pieces to the puzzle picked out.

ska d
05/28/2013, 08:20 PM
Bucket o salt.

AT_Hiker
05/28/2013, 08:50 PM
If you plan on QTing your fish you better get that setup or your DT will be ready and you won't have anything to put in the tank.

Sk8r
05/28/2013, 10:52 PM
I recommend an inexpensive bare 20 gallon for a quarantine tank. Do that from day 1 of acquiring a fish and you'll have a much happier start. 4 weeks in qt before letting them (now you're sure they don't bring passengers) into your display tank.

danharmon396
05/28/2013, 11:40 PM
I think I have the qt covered. I have a 20 gal. HOB filter. Got some filter floss in my fug (been there 2 weeks). Got all kinds of extra pvc. Just need a small heater. That should cover the QT wont it?

danharmon396
05/28/2013, 11:41 PM
Bucket o salt.

actually just ran out of salt today getting the qt filled, so definately.lol

danharmon396
05/28/2013, 11:45 PM
Gonna need a light set up sooner or later, for me personally that's been one of my biggest decisions as I have all my other pieces to the puzzle picked out.

Yes. i feel like after the live rock, that will be my next big ticket item
As far as dry rock/live rock, the only accessible and reputable lfs i have does not have dry base rock. Its all cured live rock. Its a very small but reputable (been in business at least 20 years) shop. He could order it i guess, by the time i paid shipping thou i could just buy his live rock

CoralReeForrest
05/28/2013, 11:47 PM
Cured live rock is a good thing, what's the issue with that?

danharmon396
05/28/2013, 11:57 PM
seems people say get dry rock and a little live rock to seed it. Like I said thou, after paying shipping cost the price tends to equal out

CoralReeForrest
05/29/2013, 12:20 AM
Personally I'm just going to spend the money to get 100% Live rock, I also have a plan, in my head!, to use this kind of rock: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-tonga-shelf-dry-live-rock-3.html
As sort of the center piece of the aquarium have a good depth field with this gravitating more toward the middle upper portion of the tank.

cap032
05/29/2013, 07:57 AM
The Brs rock isnt "live" if you are thinking that. They have nice dry rock though, my 125 is 98% Brs dry eco rock and I love it. For the price of dry vs live, if you need very much, buying dry should save you enough $$$ to purchase more of the equipment you still need.

CoralReeForrest
05/29/2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the tip cap I wasn't aware of that. So when something says dry live rock it's not live to our standards?

crsswift70
05/29/2013, 10:11 AM
well, dry live rock means just that. it has been dried in the sun more than likely or has come from inshore and has no life on it. It's just the shape, weight and porosity that we look for in our aquariums. Live rock will be packed soon after being pulled from the water and transported in bags or newspaper to keep it moist. I remember reading that one distributor left it out a day to kill off any fish,crabs,snails, etc prior to shipping. That way you just get the worms, clams, corals, plants, etc. that are living on the rock. There is also pre-cured and un-cured live rock. The un-cured can actually be used to cycle your tank. Pre-cured "live" rock might cause a mini cycle when first added. If you can get it from a fellow reefer or local LFS then that is usually avoided.

CoralReeForrest
05/29/2013, 02:27 PM
Awesome little write up. Sorry to hack the OP thread there for a few posts! But us noobs need this kind of info!! Thanks!

danharmon396
05/29/2013, 03:34 PM
ok. Buying more rock. Then found some skimmers, lighting, and ro/Di units on craigslist in a couple weeks. Just need heater n air pump for qt. Get that, some powerheads, and new test kits (apparently API are no good) with rock this week.

dthorn
05/29/2013, 05:42 PM
Rock and a powerhead should be 1st priority since the rock is the base of the whole system and flow is a requirement for life. Dry rock from bulk reef supply is much more affordable than you think and shipping is free over 225 dollars.

I love the reef saver looks great, extremely porous, and much cleaner than pukani. Pukani is most popular but is very dirty and requires a lengthy curing process. Reef saver is about 2.50/pound, so way cheaper than live.

Korallia evolution powerheads are probably your best bet because they are affordable, efficient, and well made with magnetic mounts (suction cups suck period).

Reef octopus skimmers are also affordable and very highly recommended by pretty much everyone. Lighting is probably more important than a skimmer but is a subject all in itself. All depends what you want to spend, keep, and personal preference.

Also, curious where you're from. I went to high school with a guy named dan harmon in harborcreek pa.