PDA

View Full Version : Why do folks monitor PH? Is it important?

duganderson
05/29/2013, 09:44 PM
I'm considering buying a controller for my nano cube 28 and I'm curious about PH monitoring. What is the reason most folks monitor PH?

Is monitoring PH important if you are not dosing Kalk if your CA, Alk and Mag are in the correct ranges?

Do most folks that monitor PH use these reading to make changes to their tank OR is it more just to confirm that the PH is OK?

Are PH probes for Apex, Apex Jr, Reefkeeper Lite accurate? How often do they need to be replaced.

Thanks

bertoni
05/29/2013, 11:00 PM
A pH meter can be useful for some trouble-shooting purposes. I'm not sure I'd strongly recommend one over a test kit otherwise. People often get a little obsessive with pH testing.

duganderson
05/30/2013, 06:02 AM
A pH meter can be useful for some trouble-shooting purposes. I'm not sure I'd strongly recommend one over a test kit otherwise. People often get a little obsessive with pH testing.

Thank you for your reply. What kind of trouble shooting is PH used to figure out?

saltyair
05/30/2013, 07:08 AM
IMO PH is the one test that I always check - if this reading is off I then check other things. (once the tank is established) It's usually the barometer letting me know something is off.

topjimmy
05/30/2013, 07:39 AM
I top off with Kalk so I have my controller monitor PH and if it should get to high it won't turn on the ATO

greyreef
05/30/2013, 08:45 AM
Read this primer on it and decide for yourself...
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

Has a second article on high ph issues
Ph is a spot measure of your tanks overall balance of alk and amount of co2 mainly, we cant measure co2 any other way
As stated, people use it for an overall spot look at tank health, but be careful how you react to it, read!
I think Bertoni has a point though, dont go obsessing over it if you decide to use it

greyreef
05/30/2013, 08:49 AM
Heres the other article
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm

tmz
05/30/2013, 11:23 AM
The articles cited are by Randy H Farley.They answer your question in a very complete fashion.
Personally, I monitor it and log daily with a pH monitor.

bertoni
05/30/2013, 10:26 PM
Corals can do poorly if the pH gets very low, and some supplement can spike the pH. Those are the more common pH issues that show up. They're not all that common, though.