PDA

View Full Version : 90 gallon stocking list

Ira
05/30/2013, 10:44 AM
All,

Getting ready to set up my 90 gallon deep custom tank (36"x24"x24"). And want to get some feedback on stocking.

Here is what I am currently looking at:

1x occelaris clown
1x royal gramma
1x mckoskers flasher wrasse male
1x other flasher male (will chose from what's availalbe)
3x fairy wrasse trio (either flame, rhomboid or red velvet, haven't decided)
2-3 small gobies/blennies (thinking blue line goby, rainfords goby and tailspot blenny)

Is thi maxed out for this tank or is there room for a few more small fish like a swissgaurd basslet or something similar?

Thanks!

ska d
05/30/2013, 01:23 PM
I would say you could add a few more small fish.

RayL
05/30/2013, 01:53 PM
What about a small tang or dwarf angel, you seem to have very few fish although I do not know much about wrasses and how big they get

Ira
05/30/2013, 02:37 PM
I don't think this tank is large enough for a tang and I want to avoid dwarf angels because this is going to be a sps tank.

Would a sunrise dottyback fit in with this crowd or would it be too aggressive?

evolved
05/30/2013, 02:43 PM
3x fairy wrasse trio (either flame, rhomboid or red velvet, haven't decided)

I'd strongly caution against a trio of Red Velvet, as they are one of the most most aggressive Cirrhilabrus and it's hard to find true females. And a male of this species is very unlikely to tolerate a conspecific male in the same tank.

It's also worth noting C. jordani females are notorious for transitioning in a closed system even in the presence of another male.

gsiegel
05/30/2013, 03:03 PM
I don't think this tank is large enough for a tang and I want to avoid dwarf angels because this is going to be a sps tank.

Would a sunrise dottyback fit in with this crowd or would it be too aggressive?

I wouldn't add a unicorn or naso tang but a smaller one may be fine.
Mimic? kole? tomini? bristletooth?

Ira
05/30/2013, 03:09 PM
Evolved, Are there any other fairy wrasses that would be easy to get a harem of? Or would it be better to get 2 males of different species? I read your wrasse info page and it seems that it's kind of a crapshoot when mixing male faries.

evolved
05/30/2013, 04:08 PM
Evolved, Are there any other fairy wrasses that would be easy to get a harem of? Or would it be better to get 2 males of different species? I read your wrasse info page and it seems that it's kind of a crapshoot when mixing male faries.
It's not a crapshoot if you choose wisely and use an acclimation box. :)

2-3 males of (the right) different species would be fine. But there's nothing wrong with a trio of one particular species, there just happens to be a few I'd avoid if I was trying to do a trio. You just happened to name two of them. :p Rhomboids would be fine for that, as would many others. Ultimately, you'll be plagued and limited by availability.

solitude127
05/30/2013, 04:48 PM
I'd strongly caution against a trio of Red Velvet, as they are one of the most most aggressive Cirrhilabrus and it's hard to find true females.

How can you tell the difference between a female and male?

evolved
05/30/2013, 06:09 PM
http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/critterPics/Cirrhilabrus_rubrisquamis.jpg

Largely by the amount of color (or lack thereof) in the fins.

Ira
05/30/2013, 06:22 PM
So if I did a male flame, rhomboid an labouti would that do ok?

gsiegel
05/30/2013, 08:13 PM
Defer to evolved but in my personal experience I had a labouti and added a lineatus. After removing the lineatus from an acclimation box The labouti tormented the lineatus to the point the labouti was removed.

Lineatus instead of the labouti?

evolved
05/31/2013, 10:30 AM
Yeah, laboutei often gets aggressive once mature. If you start with a juvi or a small one, you might be okay, but once mature it's unlikely you would be able to add any new wrasses. Lineatus is a safer bet.