PDA

View Full Version : Using third party ATO

tassod
05/30/2013, 12:49 PM
Hi,

I am very much interested in your products. Currently I have a Tunze Osmolator ATO that is hooked up to my Apex controller. Does the Renew system perform the automatic changes on a exact schedule? For example, if I wanted to have it replace 3 gallons per day, will it do it at the exact same time everyday? If so, can i have my Apex controller turn off my Tunze ATO when the water change is being performed and then have it turn it on again once it is done?

slief
05/30/2013, 01:33 PM
Hi,

I am very much interested in your products. Currently I have a Tunze Osmolator ATO that is hooked up to my Apex controller. Does the Renew system perform the automatic changes on a exact schedule? For example, if I wanted to have it replace 3 gallons per day, will it do it at the exact same time everyday? If so, can i have my Apex controller turn off my Tunze ATO when the water change is being performed and then have it turn it on again once it is done?

I don't think you can program times on the Genesis. That said, the easy way to do it would be to add a defer statement to your Tunze outlet and add a float switch or 2 on the Apex. That way, when the Apex detects the water level is low, you can use the defer statement to delay the outlet from coming on for a preset amount of time.

I just got my new Genesis Renew which I am adding to my system this weekend. I use my Apex for my ATO. I use float switches to detect the water level. When they detect a lower water level, my ATO/Dosing pump is activated and runs until the float switch's close. I will add a defer statement to my Dosing pump outlet so that my dosing pump/ATO doesn't turn on for a period of 2 minutes after the float switch is trigged (possibly more/less depending on how long the Genesis takes). That way, if the water exchange triggers my ATO, the Renew will have enough time to complete the cycle and deactivate the float switch.

tassod
05/30/2013, 01:44 PM
I don't think you can program times on the Genesis. That said, the easy way to do it would be to add a defer statement to your Tunze outlet and add a float switch or 2 on the Apex. That way, when the Apex detects the water level is low, you can use the defer statement to delay the outlet from coming on for a preset amount of time.

I just got my new Genesis Renew which I am adding to my system this weekend. I use my Apex for my ATO. I use float switches to detect the water level. When they detect a lower water level, my ATO/Dosing pump is activated and runs until the float switch's close. I will add a defer statement to my Dosing pump outlet so that my dosing pump/ATO doesn't turn on for a period of 2 minutes after the float switch is trigged (possibly more/less depending on how long the Genesis takes). That way, if the water exchange triggers my ATO, the Renew will have enough time to complete the cycle and deactivate the float switch.

I get what your saying on how to make this work but I'm guessing I would need to get a breakout box to connect the float switches right? Wondering if its worth the trouble versus just getting the STORM added the system instead.

slief
05/30/2013, 02:23 PM
I get what your saying on how to make this work but I'm guessing I would need to get a breakout box to connect the float switches right? Wondering if its worth the trouble versus just getting the STORM added the system instead.

That would just depend on what you would use the breakout box for. In my case, I use a pair of float switches wired in series for my ATO, another float switch to detect high water levels which will shut my skimmer off along with my ATO and my Auto water changes which is currently handled by my Litermeter. That switch will also send me an alert. I have another float switch for low water levels which shuts down ATO and litermeter and sends me an alert. I use my breakout box for water on the floor sensors. I also have a garage door button wired to the break out box that when pressed, activates my mixing pump for a period of 1 hour. There are lots of things you can do with the break out box.

That said, the Storm appears to be a great little device, especially when used in conjunction with the Renew. I might have gone that route but given that my Apex controlled ATO works great and also given that I have put my breakout box to very good use, there isn't a need for it in my case. Plus I like using my dosing pump for ATO as I explained earlier.

That said, regardless of which way you go on the ATO, you can make your own break out box very easily. There are instructions in the Reef Central forum someplace for it and the pin outs for the din plug on the Apex are listed in the Comprehensive Apex manual. I made my own and used female headphone jacks which make it real easy to add devices or switches. You can get a little plastic box and the jacks from radio shack and the Din Plug for the Apex is available on line. Just don't remember where or what part number.
Here is a link to a pretty good thread on building the breakout box.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847474&highlight=diy+breakout+box

bnumair
06/01/2013, 12:49 PM
Renew will change water on just about the same time. 3gal per day means 1 gal every 8 hrs. but due to the fact it doesnt have a clock on the renew system u wont know exactly when its doing it. also apex will not know when its doing water change.
so its best to add floats and stuff like mentioned by earlier post.