PDA

View Full Version : Mystery creature on Fiji LR

Shumdog71
05/31/2013, 07:50 AM
Hello all, I have a piece of Fiji LR that has a very interesting hard shelled creature that is attached to the LR. His shell seems to open like a clam, he opens it very little from time to time. The guy I bought my tank from was unable to have it identified, so I wondered if anyone may be able to help me identify it. There is a picture of it on my profile page. Can't figure out how to post attachments

NeilFox
05/31/2013, 08:43 AM
It is a type of clam I believe. They can move around too; with surprising speed. I have a few also. They don't harm anything as far as I can tell...

Shumdog71
05/31/2013, 08:50 AM
He has done a 180 degree turn on the rock, other than that he is stationary. The previous owner said he the LR to several different aquatic shops and no one knew what it was. He also claimed to have tried to pry it from the rock and was unsuccessful. It is clam like for sure, but it only opens its shell to maybe 1/16 of an inch. Thanks for the input!!!

oldsaint
05/31/2013, 09:18 AM
A pic might help.
Check out Turkey wing clam/Arca zebra.

If that is correct I would question the rock being from Figi. Turkey wings clams are from the atlantic/Gulf area.

Shumdog71
05/31/2013, 09:41 AM
Pic is on my profile page, I could be mistaken about the LR, I was told there is Fiji , Hawaiin, and carribian

Shumdog71
05/31/2013, 09:44 AM
Just googled turkey wing clam, definently not that. There is a good pic on my profile page, I can't figure out how to post attachments

oldsaint
05/31/2013, 09:57 AM
I looked at the pic but can't say for certain what it is.
This site might help.
http://indopacificseashells.com/bivalves.htm

Shumdog71
05/31/2013, 10:49 AM
Will do old saint , think I'm going to take it to premium aquatics in Indianapolis and see what they have to say. Thanks for posting !