PDA

View Full Version : fish who lose color in captivity

Ron Popeil
05/31/2013, 02:02 PM
what marine fish lose their color in captivity?

any fish that eat well, dont appear stressed, but lose the bright vivid colors once they have been in an aquarium for a few weeks? any come to mind?

SDguy
05/31/2013, 02:54 PM
Some anthias arguably can/do.

Megatrev62
05/31/2013, 03:28 PM
None come to mind. Some fish when adult get drab, but definitely not within a few weeks.

jda
05/31/2013, 03:53 PM
Any of them if you feed them a horrible diet. Hippos with HLLE, and smaller large angelfish that grow up looking drab are the first examples that come to mind. ...maybe not in 3 weeks, but 3 weeks and they will be on their way.

hybrid
05/31/2013, 03:58 PM
i have a 5 inch ausie scotts that lost all his color from not having a female he almost completely black

Ron Popeil
05/31/2013, 04:24 PM
so some factors that determine color loss in captivity are:

poor diet
lack of potential mates/potential competition
normal metamorphosis

some anthias lose their vibrant wild coloration? which ones? any picture series of their change?

any other fish that people are finding lose the bright colors of their wild brethren?

SDguy
05/31/2013, 04:40 PM
some anthias lose their vibrant wild coloration? which ones? any picture series of their change?

IME it can be any species... it's just more obvious in some than others. Bartletts come to mind. Also IME is definitely diet related... the more frozen seafood meats, cyclopeeze, nutrimar ova, etc in the diet, the more vibrant the colors stay.

namxas
05/31/2013, 04:56 PM
The bright red leaf scorps often fade to a creamy/pinkish color.

Supplementation with astaxanthin often helps fish maintain their color.

Ron Popeil
05/31/2013, 05:01 PM
what about yellows? what brings back bright yellow?

SDguy
05/31/2013, 06:16 PM

I generally can't think of bright yellow fading... even the anthias I mentioned, the yellow on the bartletts isn't the part that faded. If yellows faded, TBH, my FOWLR would look like crap :)

Tactics
05/31/2013, 07:06 PM
My friend switched to an all flake diet for his fish (probably due to his busy lifestyle). Saw his anthias 2 months later and they looked very pale and drab.

I'm in agreement - a healthy, varied diet is the most important in maintaining colors.

o2manyfish
05/31/2013, 09:16 PM
I have a multi-color angel that went into the tank with a bright white body, he swam into the rock work and disappeared for about 9 days. When he finally showed himself his body was dark charcoal grey. It's been over a year now and I have a full grown dark ugly multicolor angel.

I also got a juvenile flame angel which after a couple of months got noticeably darker on the top of his body.

Dave B

Winwood
05/31/2013, 10:42 PM

I was reading in a cichlid color article that some people mix in yellow bell peppers into their homemade food because of the specific carotenoids found in them bring out yellows in their fish fry.

Ron Popeil
06/03/2013, 10:28 AM
do you have a link to that article? i wouldnt mind looking into that...

Winwood
06/03/2013, 01:31 PM
Here ya go.
http://www.sonnysfishroom.com/?page_id=252

Empty Bottles
06/03/2013, 08:58 PM
Flasher and Fairy wrasses. I have a flasher that has lost a lot of his vibrance in a year, but he is the only wrasse in the tank.

Ron Popeil
06/04/2013, 10:27 AM
is anyone playing around with food ingredients and having success boosting colors? beyond astaxanthin for reds? anyone who has used yellow peppers for yellows? any other unique foods tried with noticeable effects?

o2manyfish
06/04/2013, 11:04 AM
Jake Adams was visiting a month or so ago and was very impressed with the bright colors inlcuding reds and oranges in some of my fish. He felt that came from the oils in the Reef Nutrition Arcti-pods I feed.

Dave B

triggerman71
06/04/2013, 11:34 AM
I had a male crosshatch trigger turn female and loose all his vibrant color including his bright red tail. This was I believe due to the absence of a female

Ron Popeil
06/04/2013, 11:42 AM
Dave B, beyond the flame angel and multicolored angel, do you have any fish that you have noticed IMPROVED color with the use of the RN acticpods?