PDA

View Full Version : SPS Fading

ReefEnc
05/31/2013, 03:07 PM
Ok I have a problem I need help with. When I get my acros in they are beautiful and brite. But after even a couple of days they seem to fade. There is no bleaching at all and they still have color but not the "POP" I see in other tanks. My tank is a 75 gallon standard rectangle tank. Salinity is at 1.024, 0 nitrates and phosphates. My ph is 7.8-7.9. My alk is at 9 my calcium at 420. I dose lugols 1 time a week with a water change once a week of about 10 gallons. I use coralvite once a week and dose kent essentials 2 x a week. I feed Seachem Fuel once a week and kent phytoplex once a week. My lighting consist of 2 Aquaillumi ation Vegas with with white set to 75% and all the other colors at 95% (blues violets reds and greens). The lights are about 12" above the tank with acros being placed between the top and half way mark and i have a photo period of about 9 hrs. Any thoughts much appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Arkayology
05/31/2013, 03:47 PM
What are your phosphate levels? Do you use any form of carbon dosing? I would hazard a guess that your water is too clean and your corals are hungry. Do some more testing and consider feeding some SPS food (rotifers, oyster eggs, different planktons, etc) and dosing amino acids more often. I have never used Seachem Fuel before, but maybe try dosing a little more throughout the week to see if the corals react positively.

ReefEnc
05/31/2013, 04:00 PM
What are your phosphate levels? Do you use any form of carbon dosing? I would hazard a guess that your water is too clean and your corals are hungry. Do some more testing and consider feeding some SPS food (rotifers, oyster eggs, different planktons, etc) and dosing amino acids more often. I have never used Seachem Fuel before, but maybe try dosing a little more throughout the week to see if the corals react positively.

Thanks for the reply. My phosphates are non detectable. I am dosing B-Ionic two part. I will definately try more feeding with the foods you have mentioned. Maybe 10 days between water changes? Thanks again for the help!!

Andyf30
05/31/2013, 11:25 PM
I hate to be that guy but it may be the Led's. I've seen a lot of tanks that use leds for sps tanks and the corals change color when moved from t5 or mh that was on the tank they were in previously. The most common reaction I've seen is for the corals is to pale out, and still grow and be healthy, but just not show good intense coloration under led's.

reefsurfing
06/01/2013, 06:59 AM
What test kits are you using for phosphate & nitrate? Do you have any algae?

ReefEnc
06/11/2013, 02:27 PM
Actually I have started feeding more and the color is slowly coming back. Thats what it was, not enough food. I have heard the same thing about LEDs too. I have mine dialed down to 79% and that seems to help. As far as test kits go I use Salifert exclusively.

dr.big
06/11/2013, 04:54 PM
maybe a combination, SPS cannot take as much light when the water is poor in nutrients. My advice would be to lower the light and feed a little more. I had the same problem!

Patrick Cox
06/11/2013, 07:26 PM
maybe a combination, SPS cannot take as much light when the water is poor in nutrients. My advice would be to lower the light and feed a little more. I had the same problem!

What Par value would you recommend? I have the same issue and I am wondering if my light is too strong? I am using an ATI T5 fixture. I also believe my nutrients are too low. Thanks.

russeko8
06/12/2013, 06:05 PM
I have run into the same problem by stripping the water and not having enough food for the corals. What I found works good for me is Oyster Feast , Elos Amino acids and Elos Pro Skimmer ( Its a Carbohydrate ). Half the recommended dose of Elos products and the full dose of Oyster Feast. This combination fed every other day opposite fish feedings has really got some awesome colors for me. Stable parameters as well.

williewilliams
06/12/2013, 06:26 PM
Almost the same thing happened in my tank. All colors paled out. I started feeding heavier, with algens oyster, and coral smoothie, and dosing seachem's aquavitro fuel daily, now my colors are back and really pop. My N's and P's were both undetectable. I would do just as others stated above, it worked for me.

CUNAReefer
06/12/2013, 06:28 PM
I have run into the same problem by stripping the water and not having enough food for the corals. What I found works good for me is Oyster Feast , Elos Amino acids and Elos Pro Skimmer ( Its a Carbohydrate ). Half the recommended dose of Elos products and the full dose of Oyster Feast. This combination fed every other day opposite fish feedings has really got some awesome colors for me. Stable parameters as well.

Russ knows what he is talking about. I am a little biased because he is a friend of mine, but he has one of the most stunning SPS collections here in SE Michigan. Glad to see you on RC giving some advice, Russ!