PDA

View Full Version : Best way to pipe my overflow

Johnic
05/31/2013, 11:26 PM
Im having a lee mar tank built and my overflow is half hex design approx 5" deep and it's internal to tank.
What's the best way to half a quiet overflow. Any detailed instructions would be great. My bulk head I think is going to be 1 1/2"

Thanks

azjohnny
06/01/2013, 01:47 PM
Is the noise in the sump are or the sump

Johnic
06/01/2013, 01:52 PM
Tanks not built yet. I'm assuming my overflow will be noisy with the splash of 20"

jmking33
06/01/2013, 06:14 PM
If your having it built, have it made with three bulkheads for the overflow. Use the herbie method with spa flex. Dead quiet.

Johnic
06/01/2013, 06:16 PM
Gotcha. Is there a pic of someone who did that. I always see external methods.

benjc
06/02/2013, 11:18 AM
+1 on the herbie; if you are having the return go up and over, you would only need two holes in the overflow, three if you want the return going up through the overflow. Research the herbie drain, but in short, your water drop in the overflow would be less than an inch and the drain will be dead silent.

azjohnny
06/02/2013, 11:25 AM
Here is a link to the Bean Animal also a very good design

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Johnic
06/02/2013, 11:51 AM
+1 on the herbie; if you are having the return go up and over, you would only need two holes in the overflow, three if you want the return going up through the overflow. Research the herbie drain, but in short, your water drop in the overflow would be less than an inch and the drain will be dead silent.

Ya after researching it last night. I think I'm going to do three holes at bottom of overflow. (2) 1" overflow and (1) 3/4" return. And do the herbie design.

Johnic
06/02/2013, 12:03 PM
I do have a quick question about the herbie design.
So I'll have two 1" overflows one being a emergency and the other a main with a valve on it. So I have my pump running and the the overflow valve in place. Can the pump on a given day pump too fast randomly to exceed the overflow and pump out my sump? I guess what I'm wondering is if the balance between the pump speed and overflow valve goes one day for whatever reason. I understand the emergency will be there but what if the pump goes slow and the tank drains quicker than whats being pumped back? Is this even possible?

GroktheCube
06/02/2013, 02:09 PM
Bean Animal is the best. Herbie if you aren't using Bean.

As for your recent question, it shouldn't matter much. Water level is always very nearly level with the top of the overflow weir, unless you are pumping way too much water through the return. If the pump is going way too fast, your e drain will handle it.

That's one advantage to the bean animal system. Having two primary drains means less variation in overflow box water level, and less chance of needing to use the e drain.

benjc
06/02/2013, 02:13 PM
If the pump can't handle the flow rate going through the drain, the water level in the overflow will drop and you will get noise/gurgling...depending on your sump size and skimmer, the increased water height in the sump from the fully-drained overflow may cause your skimmer to overflow. If your pump can move more water than the main drain, a gate valve between the pump and tank can be utilized to throttle-back the flow. In my tank, I run a modified Herbie since I have two 1-inch and one 1.5-inch holes; one 1-inch hole for drain and one for the return, and the 1.5-inch hole for emergency drain AND minimal flow like the Bean style. For the 1.5-inch drain there are no valves and no bends; the pipe is completely vertical.

Johnic
06/02/2013, 02:31 PM
If the pump can't handle the flow rate going through the drain, the water level in the overflow will drop and you will get noise/gurgling...depending on your sump size and skimmer, the increased water height in the sump from the fully-drained overflow may cause your skimmer to overflow. If your pump can move more water than the main drain, a gate valve between the pump and tank can be utilized to throttle-back the flow. In my tank, I run a modified Herbie since I have two 1-inch and one 1.5-inch holes; one 1-inch hole for drain and one for the return, and the 1.5-inch hole for emergency drain AND minimal flow like the Bean style. For the 1.5-inch drain there are no valves and no bends; the pipe is completely vertical.

Gotcha, but my concern is finding that sweet spot on the return line valve and coming home to a dry sump. Is this possible?

GroktheCube
06/02/2013, 04:32 PM
The odds of your return overpowering the open channel emergency drain and leaving you with a dry sump and wet floor are near zero. A 1" siphon can easily handle over 1000gph, and 1500+ in most settings.

azjohnny
06/02/2013, 04:42 PM
Checkout this thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344892

Johnic
06/02/2013, 06:12 PM
The odds of your return overpowering the open channel emergency drain and leaving you with a dry sump and wet floor are near zero. A 1" siphon can easily handle over 1000gph, and 1500+ in most settings.

Gotcha. Thanks folk. I just placed my order for lee mar tank with two 1" drains and one 3/4" return.

Let's see how it goes.

Johnic
06/03/2013, 03:49 PM
One more question....Spa Flex or hard pipe PVC for the two 1" drains ?