PDA

View Full Version : Protection under the sandbed.

ingtar_shinowa
06/02/2013, 05:02 PM
I've build a couple pillars with overhangs for my new 125g and was going to use egg-crate. However, this worries me because I want to keep many leopard and tamarins, and don't want them digging into the sharp edges.

At the end of the day, is there a really GOOD reason not to put starboard or egg-crate under rock. I just like the idea of dispersing some of that weight over a large area not a focused point.

I've done a few searches and have not found anyone convincing..

worm5406
06/02/2013, 05:13 PM
Some say to put it straight on the glass and only put egg crate on the corners that are sharp as to not put pinpoint pressure on the glass.

Personally I checked my edges and put it right on the glass.

If you look at this video you will see it some.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0KXsCMeYbt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thegrun
06/02/2013, 06:10 PM
I use egg crate in all my tanks. It's not so much to distribute the rock weight as too anchor the rock in place. I experienced a few rock slides over the years from shifting rocks, none since I started using egg crate. Give the fish a little credit, they will avoid sharp edges; something they need to avoid in the wild with sharp rocks and corals.

ingtar_shinowa
06/02/2013, 06:14 PM
Hey Grun, thanks that makes sense. If I can grab some cheap starboard I think i will go that route since everything is mortared together