PDA

View Full Version : Another aiptasia?

HUNTER1
06/03/2013, 09:17 AM
I took out some live rocks with lots of aiptasia out of the tank and boil the rocks with water on the stove top and will soak in vinegar, will that kill the aiptasia? thanks

oscarinw
06/03/2013, 09:22 AM
It will kill it from the rock, but if you don't do that with everything in the tank (plumbing, sand, pumps, etc.) it can re-appear.
Once I had an aiptasia problem and a couple of peppermint shrimps did the trick for me.
Good luck with things!

HUNTER1
06/03/2013, 09:27 AM
It will kill it from the rock, but if you don't do that with everything in the tank (plumbing, sand, pumps, etc.) it can re-appear.
Once I had an aiptasia problem and a couple of peppermint shrimps did the trick for me.
Good luck with things!
These rocks are going to a new tank. I'm getting the peppermint shrimps and matted filefish for the tank with aiptasia.

Sugar Magnolia
06/03/2013, 11:46 AM
You do NOT want to boil the rock inside the house. There have been several cases here where members boiled their rock and inhaled the fumes which led to severe respiratory distress and a hospital stay.

ahmer1781
06/03/2013, 11:54 AM
DONT BOIL ROCKS IN YOUR HOUSE!!!

people refer to "cooking" the rocks, but you can leave them outside in the sun or even bleach them...

I've been using Aiptasia X and got some peppermint shrimp, the aiptasia x works instantly and is awesome! any ones you miss your shrimp will get them

bnumair
06/03/2013, 11:59 AM
I dont think I have to say the same but cooking rock or boiling rock inside the house has caused people to end up in emergency hospital. Just take rock out and leave it dry out of water for week or two.

HUNTER1
06/03/2013, 01:31 PM
I already boiled them for good 30 minutes and didn't smell that bad. I rinsed them first with boiling water before boiling on the stove top. I have them soaking in vinegar for couple of hours, will scrub then leave it out in the sun.

Adamw327
06/03/2013, 02:00 PM
When i had a problem i put them in a bucket. Boiled enough water to cover them and dumped it in. Covered the bucket and put a lid on it. Shaked the hell out of it and let it sit. After a few minutes BOOOM! The lid blew off haha, i repeated this 2 more times and then blasted the rocks in the tub with our adjustable shower head set to the max pressure to blast any dead stuff away. Worked great, nothing returned, no raise in levels when added back to tank

HUNTER1
06/03/2013, 02:16 PM
Well, I scrubed them after vinegar bath but there's some green algae that wouldn't come off. But that's dead algae already right?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/rockerchickjusk8/554FFEE0-77CC-43BD-8166-DF6C8A3A862D-17487-000005D17F67B5AF_zpsc83cc57a.jpg