PDA

View Full Version : ID Please, Not the Zoa the Other Thing!!!

Hazratty
06/03/2013, 07:08 PM
Hey,

I have had these zoa's for 5 months on the same plug in the tank, when I had bought the zoa it was 3-4 polyps and not coloured. In the past 2 months it has thrived and its colour came back. Well along with its colour are these white tubular things growing through the single polyps.

I have never seen any fan like organisms come out the end, They are no where else in the tank the picture is on my frag rack and no other zoas are affected. When I scrape them off they grow back in a week!!

Lastly they were always white!
Add - They don't seem to bother the zoa at all!?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/8501_10152865397890282_2068466812_n.jpg

Hazratty
06/03/2013, 07:18 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/601155_10152865565970282_454476351_n.jpg

Another picture I just scraped or tried to get all of them off again.

TimeConsumer
06/03/2013, 07:28 PM
Look like some kind of sponge. I have sponges in my tank that have a tube like that attached.

Hazratty
06/03/2013, 07:31 PM
Yeah I'm fairly certain its a sponge as I have all sorts of sponges growing in my tank (I think that's a good thing right :spin1: )

Any suggestions of how to remove it rather then manually taking it off which never 100% works!?

I have tried exposure to air and letting the zoa dry slightly but with the zoa always oozing water I don't think that properly works!

leveldrummer
06/03/2013, 07:41 PM
arent those tunicates?

either way, id be afraid of them spreading. they look rather invasive. try a nice dip in some revive or something,

Hazratty
06/03/2013, 07:46 PM
I've explored the fact of tunicates and I convinced my self otherwise might explaining to me why you think that? I also couldn't find any comparable pictures.

I'm not trying to be arrogant on that comment I see how that sounds and by no means mean that negatively just wanted to know.

TimeConsumer
06/03/2013, 07:49 PM
If it is a sponge just expose it to air for awhile, 10 minutes shouldn't hurt the corals.

leveldrummer
06/03/2013, 07:53 PM
I've explored the fact of tunicates and I convinced my self otherwise might explaining to me why you think that? I also couldn't find any comparable pictures.

I'm not trying to be arrogant on that comment I see how that sounds and by no means mean that negatively just wanted to know.

haha, ive got thick skin man, you didnt sound arrogant at all. i dont take stuff like that. dont worry.

so on to the matter.

i assumed tunicate because they look like a syphon tube with a hole on the end, ive just always associated that look with tunicates, i could be totally wrong.

a quick google image seach turns up a few images that looks slightly like these, they are clear, tube shapes with a hole on the end. although they arent long trunk looking like yours. i just tossed it out. helping you to think outside the box, i didnt realize you already considered them.

here is one article with a picture that looks similar.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/Publications/article/2007/17-09-2007-eng.htm

it seems all tunicates have 2 holes right next to each other on each tube. can you tell if these do?

are they flexible? or hard? to they move on their own or if you touch them at all? do they open or close etc? :thumbsup:

Hazratty
06/03/2013, 07:58 PM
Haha no worries man, anyone who eats puppies definitely isn't offending easily!!! Just didn't want to start an internet war some people are "touchy'

They are quite soft, feel like a sponge haha, no shell, they don't move or retract when touched and no opening or closing.

Tunicates I always assumed that they were much bigger then these guys, surrounded by a shell type feature and 2 openings on one stalk, but again I could be completely wrong.

leveldrummer
06/03/2013, 08:08 PM
Haha no worries man, anyone who eats puppies definitely isn't offending easily!!! Just didn't want to start an internet war some people are "touchy'

They are quite soft, feel like a sponge haha, no shell, they don't move or retract when touched and no opening or closing.

Tunicates I always assumed that they were much bigger then these guys, surrounded by a shell type feature and 2 openings on one stalk, but again I could be completely wrong.
Your probably right, I didn't realize tunicates had a shell. Sponge sounds good, go with that. Pull the frag and set it on the counter for 30 minutes. The zoas will do fine.

Hazratty
06/03/2013, 08:16 PM
Your probably right, I didn't realize tunicates had a shell. Sponge sounds good, go with that. Pull the frag and set it on the counter for 30 minutes. The zoas will do fine.

Yeah, like I've said up there I had tried air exposure but with the zoas taking on and keeping water I think they keep the sponges from drying out! I haven't tried 30 minutes maybe 5-7minutes when they come back I think i'll try for an extended period. I know zoas can stay out of water for some quite time with them fighting tides and whatever else but lets give'r a go!

Thanks for all your replies, though I have been on RC quite a bit and do a lot of daily reading I don't post very much so its nice when I do to get great responses!