PDA

View Full Version : I don't give advice

Paul B
06/04/2013, 11:31 AM
I don't give advice unless asked. There are a few reasons for that, first off, I am not the God of fish tanks, second, I don't have the nicest tank between here and Tahiti. Third, there is so much advice given on these forums that it boggles the mind and I would like to say that much of it is wrong advice, but I can't, because as I said, I am not the God of fish tanks.
Fourth, I run an undergravel filter so even I would not take advice from me and my methods are considered just rediculous.
After saying that and after reading so many posts on here I am glad that I don't give advice unless asked. Many posts start out with someone asking an inocuous question like "What should I feed my tang?" The poor guy will unleash a vast plethora of things like, "well you should not put a tang in a tank under 100 gallons, or a tang is an ich magnet so you have to quarantine it for 6 months and feed it garlic while you use hyposalinity on it and feed it nori four times a day at the same time every day. Or Tangs don't ship well so they should be avoided at all costs, or they don't get along with pipefish, or your social security will be cancelled if you get a tang or tangs are Jewish and only eat Kosher food.
Very few people will, if ever just answer the guys question as to what he should feed the thing.
So many threads go like that. Someone will ask "What is this invert" and he will get answers from a sea cucumber to a duck billed platypus.
I especially like when someone asks, "help me decide what fish to put in my tank?" Like, is it me? First of all, who cares what fish you put in your tank? There are hundreds of fish to choose from, pick one. I think you should re phrase the question and ask something like can a percula clown get along with a seahorse or a manta ray. Something specific will get you a better answer. But if you really want to know something, search out someone who has a tank that you admire and maybe has the fish or invert in there that you are interested in. Then try to read his or her threads to see if they seem to have luck with it for a few years (no, not months) then PM the person. That way you will get one answer and most likely a correct answer without all the drama and nonsence mixed with myth.
This is just my opinion and if I offended anyone. You could offend me, (call me bald or something) or you will just have to get over it. :bum:

Robb in Austin
06/04/2013, 11:33 AM
Hey Paul,

Got a question for ya.

Should I run an underground filter too? And what size tank do I need for a tang and a shark?

;)

Paul B
06/04/2013, 11:49 AM
The same size tank as for a medium size manta ray, or duck billed platypus.

sirreal63
06/04/2013, 11:57 AM
or duck billed platypus.

Can you help me find one of these online? :D

Paul B
06/04/2013, 11:58 AM
Yes, but you may have to quarantine it as they are ich magnets and nitrate factories.

gone fishin
06/04/2013, 11:58 AM
Hey Paul always nice to read your commentaries. I honestly try to just answer the questions posed. Many times I will read through a thread and just take a pass on it due to what you have mentioned.

I wouldn't call you bald I have been becoming sensitive to it since I have started developing my own rain sensor:fun2:

kabe87
06/04/2013, 12:09 PM
What can I feed my Tang? ;D

Seriously though...

When you had tangs, did they eat worms?

Paul B
06/04/2013, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't call you bald I have been becoming sensitive to it since I have started developing my own rain sensor
I purposely "allowed" my hait to fall out as it kept going in my eyes when I was looking at my tank.
Besides I am trying to copy my Grand Daughter
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/MeandGrandpa.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/MeandGrandpa.jpg.html)

gone fishin
06/04/2013, 12:18 PM
:lolspin: she is getting so big.

10reefman
06/04/2013, 12:22 PM
My yellow tang eats worms and I have him in a 55 g tank.

sirreal63
06/04/2013, 12:27 PM
Paul, you can try to emulate her, but the reality is she is way cuter than you are. :beer:

Back on topic, sort of...in the short time I have been here, I have noticed people usually don't really want advice, they want someone to tell them what to do or that it is ok to do what they want to do, even though everything they have read tells them it is not a good idea. My least favorite threads are the ones asking what the best (insert whatever here) is. There is no best in anything, but there are things, products, methods etc. that may be more properly suited for the task, depending on the goals. There is no best light, food, pump, skimmer etc etc.

I suppose I could go on and on, but I actually do like to help people when they actually want help and I don't really want to rant. :dance:

Dingo44
06/04/2013, 12:29 PM
She's adorable.... I can tell from your many postings of pictures of her recently that she has replaced your tank as the center of attention. You remind me of my mother when her first grandkid was born. Every other sentence was about him, as if he could do no wrong and everytime he moved it was the cutest thing that has ever happened, ever, in the history of the universe.

But I do have a tank related question for you. Just this morning I was cleaning out my filter sock after 3 days of it being in there and noticed that a metal bolt somehow got into the sock and started rusting. Rust has stained the sock and I couldn't get it all out of the sock when cleaning it.

Should I throw the sock away? Do a 99% water change while on the phone with poison control? Or put the sock back in the sump and consider it an Iron supplement for algea and what not?

Paul B
06/04/2013, 12:44 PM
I suppose I could go on and on, but I actually do like to help people when they actually want help
I actually like to help people also. But if I give a suggestion maybe because I tried it like fifty times, then I don't want to hear, "No, I would rather do what John told me to do because he has had fish since tuesday"

My yellow tang eats worms and I have him in a 55 g tank.

That fish also hates you.

Should I throw the sock away? Do a 99% water change while on the phone with poison control? Or put the sock back in the sump and consider it an Iron supplement for algea and what not?

OK, I am fed up to here (my hand is under my chin) with people worrying about iron.
Iron is our friend, embrace it. Rust is a wonderful thing. If it were not for rust, what would shipwrecks do? Speaking of shipwrecks, corals grow much better on shipwrecks than on the surrounding rocks, I wonder why? Could it be they just like remanicing about the old days or they like the Nautical decor? I really don't know. It couldn't have anything to do with iron, that is just silly.
So put your filter sock back in your tank, or better yet, buy another one and wear them.

she is getting so big.

That picture was from last summer. This was from last week
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/get-attachment1_zpsd3aef412.png (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/get-attachment1_zpsd3aef412.png.html)

Dingo44
06/04/2013, 12:54 PM
I had a feeling you would answer me in a way I would understand.

Should I replace my LR with Live Iron to make my corals grow better?

AZBigJohn
06/04/2013, 12:56 PM
Paul, I always love reading your posts!

You could offend me, (call me bald or something) or you will just have to get over it. :bum:

For the record, I believe God only made a few perfect heads, he had to cover all the rest of them with hair... I also understand you are getting ready for a second blessing. Congrats!. Here I am welcoming my third recently, (and am also expecting another one in August)
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r517/azbigjohn/WP_000348.jpg (http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/azbigjohn/media/WP_000348.jpg.html)

My other two are rapidly becoming as addicted to my tanks as I am.
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r517/azbigjohn/V__B3B0.jpg (http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/azbigjohn/media/V__B3B0.jpg.html)
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r517/azbigjohn/V__3894.jpg (http://s1169.photobucket.com/user/azbigjohn/media/V__3894.jpg.html)

I think we both could agree we are incredibly lucky! I don't think we could reasonably agree which of us has the cuter grandchild, though (although they are all adorable)

Paul B
06/04/2013, 01:19 PM
Congrats on all the Grand Kids, very cute. Grand Kids are the best, and if they are not, we can say, here, go home with Mommy.

Don't laugh, that might work. I love it when people say "OMG" I dropped a staple in my tank and I am thinking of emptying the tank and starting over again. I am thinking of making my tank out of iron.
I once collected a "rock" that weighed about 5 lbs and I had it in a bucket of seawater all winter in my garage. I had grass shrimp and amphipods in there. In the summer I remembered the bucket and figured I would dump it out. The water was red and thick. The "Rock" turned out to be a piece of a sunken ship and was obviousely iron. I dumped it out and realized that those shrimp and amphipods were not only alive, but they had super powers. They were the healthiest shrimp and amphipods I have ever seen. I threw them in my reef.
That water was nothing but iron, how bad could it be? :smokin:

gone fishin
06/04/2013, 01:27 PM
Let me run this past you. I was thinking of taking the wifes "one a day vitamin for women" and substituting "One a Day for fish" and selling for at least 10 times the price. Not the most ethical thing but, I could get my retirement plan back on track.

Paul B
06/04/2013, 01:29 PM
How do you think I financed my retirement?

gone fishin
06/04/2013, 01:31 PM
Why you crafty New Yorker.:fun5:

footballdude2k3
06/04/2013, 01:32 PM
Let me run this past you. I was thinking of taking the wifes "one a day vitamin for women" and substituting "One a Day for fish" and selling for at least 10 times the price. Not the most ethical thing but, I could get my retirement plan back on track.

I will design and host the website if I can get in on this

Nina51
06/04/2013, 01:35 PM
Not the most ethical thing

not to mention highly illegal. call me, BR-549, when you need a good attorney. or a bad one, for that matter. ;)

paul, you crack me up. srsly, you should write a book!

gone fishin
06/04/2013, 01:38 PM
not to mention highly illegal. call me, BR-549, when you need a good attorney. or a bad one, for that matter. ;)

paul, you crack me up. srsly, you should write a book!

:lmao: I made a Neeners "Ring Ring" thread.

rrasco
06/04/2013, 01:48 PM
Is it bad that the only thing I took away from this thread is that tangs are Jews?

RGCEsq
06/04/2013, 03:17 PM
This thread made me laugh. Thank you all. I needed that.
Also, lovely pictures of Paul and his granddaughter.

GSMguy
06/04/2013, 03:58 PM
Is it bad that the only thing I took away from this thread is that tangs are Jews?

LOL.

I think a lot of people come here and expect the "right" answer when there is no right answer.

gone fishin
06/04/2013, 04:02 PM
What are these "answers" you speak of.

vette.tech
06/04/2013, 04:05 PM
I had a feeling you would answer me in a way I would understand.

live iron....that made me lol

Khemul
06/04/2013, 04:38 PM
Speaking of shipwrecks, corals grow much better on shipwrecks than on the surrounding rocks, I wonder why?

I say it's their way of rubbing it in. Like a monument to previous victories. The Zoanthids grow into the words "Don't **** with the reef!" But then they die of global warming, thus proving that pride comes before the fall. And then humans pick up the survivors, toss them in a glass box, and the poor Zoos pout about how life is so unfair... and the circle of life goes on.

Bello
06/05/2013, 06:13 AM
The "Rock" turned out to be a piece of a sunken ship and was obviousely iron. I dumped it out and realized that those shrimp and amphipods were not only alive, but they had super powers. They were the healthiest shrimp and amphipods I have ever seen. I threw them in my reef.
That water was nothing but iron, how bad could it be? :smokin:

So you're saying that if I sat all winter in a bucket of rusted iron, I could become "Iron Man" :lol:

Paul B
06/05/2013, 07:41 AM
So you're saying that if I sat all winter in a bucket of rusted iron, I could become "Iron Man"

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I am trying to get rid of an old washing machine, I will give it to you and you can put it in your bath tub. Stay in there for a year and you will be Iron Man and can make your own movie. But washing machines today have a lot of aluminum in them so you may just turn into Aluminum Foil Man

ganjero
06/05/2013, 01:23 PM
Paul I think this question is for you

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2301321

Paul B
06/05/2013, 01:41 PM
Yes, great thread, that is just where I want to go to answer that question.
I have an answer and will go there and give it

TankStudy
06/05/2013, 01:42 PM
I don't give advice unless asked

I'm very much the same way. Especially in a hobby. People enjoy hobbies cause they like to do it in their own way. If I go ranting on how they should do things, I feel people would think I'm arrogant or get very annoyed of me. If people like my fish-craft and how I do things, I'm more then welcome to give them advice on how I do things when asked but for the most part I like to let people do things how they want, unless they are doing something totally on the 101 things not to do in the saltwater hobby, I'm pretty quiet.

Paul B
06/05/2013, 01:48 PM
If I go ranting on how they should do things, I feel people would think I'm arrogant or get very annoyed of me.

People already think of me as arrogant and get annoyed at me. I give advice (when asked) and sometimes people don't like my advice, so they get mad.
What can I tell you? I'm old and crotchety.

saf1
06/05/2013, 03:17 PM
Old and crotchety? No.

I'd like to say seasoned.

Paul B
06/05/2013, 04:56 PM
I was a Sgt in Viet Nam and a construction electrician foreman in Manhattan for 40 years so I am Old, crotchety, stubborn, seasoned, hard headed and did I say old?
Also very used to people getting annoyed at me and being arrogant.
But now I am a piece of cake :smokin:

Ralph ATL
06/05/2013, 07:14 PM
been in the ATL since 1980, grew up in S. Farmingdale.....loved your thread! Thanks!

rrasco
06/06/2013, 02:08 PM
Dr. Paul...I need some advice. People are not listening to my advice. What should I do?

Paul B
06/06/2013, 02:11 PM
Shut up

duane9
06/07/2013, 12:28 AM
Does a person have a perfect head if he only has hair around the lower edges, like a horseshoe, and secondly when does his luck begin for constantly having the horseshoe look?

higorc
06/07/2013, 03:33 AM
HAHA! This thread is hillarious:lmao:

Paul B
06/07/2013, 07:27 AM
Duane, did you ever watch those old Robin Hood movies? He could be a monk

duane9
06/07/2013, 10:04 AM
Oh yea, but didn't they make, "guard" (drink) all the wine and beer? :beer:

Paul B
06/07/2013, 10:13 AM
Yes, they did.

Paul B
06/09/2013, 09:00 AM
...I need some advice. People are not listening to my advice. What should I do?

rrasco, I didn't mean that literally

johnike
06/09/2013, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=Paul B;21579766]I actually like to help people also. But if I give a suggestion maybe because I tried it like fifty times, then I don't want to hear, "No, I would rather do what John told me to do because he has had fish since tuesday"

Don't go dragging me into your madness.
;)
:lolspin:

Paul B
06/09/2013, 07:16 PM
You are not the John I was referring to. I meant John Doe or John Lennon or John Denver. :wavehand:

Beandawg
06/09/2013, 08:34 PM
You are not the John I was referring to. I meant Jon bon jovi :wavehand:

ftfp :artist: