PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilzers...

hanktrank
06/05/2013, 09:06 PM
Hi everyone....

I'm thinking about getting a corallife UV sterilizer....is this something worth getting?

Thanks

ingtar_shinowa
06/05/2013, 09:12 PM
I like mine. You will will get alot of conflicting information and advise on UV.

hanktrank
06/05/2013, 09:20 PM
I like mine. You will will get alot of conflicting information and advise on UV.
hi ingtar...

was it hard to setup...i'm going to be using a canister filtration system (fluval 305). what is your setup??

thanks

wonrib00
06/05/2013, 09:43 PM
I got an oversized one incase. I would be find killing everything that web through it, including the bubble algae spores that may or may not show up when introducing corals. I have a CL as well, he big one, 36W IIRC. Easy to plumb.

Adamw327
06/06/2013, 12:23 AM
Very easy to set up, the less flow you send through it the better, because the water is suspended in the light longer.

However many would argue it kills more beneficial things then its worth

kclewis
06/06/2013, 07:35 AM
Go with ozone instead.

ingtar_shinowa
06/06/2013, 01:55 PM
It was not hard to set up, but I had a sump.

jimmyj7090
06/06/2013, 02:39 PM
What do you hope to accomplish with it?

MrTuskfish
06/07/2013, 11:52 AM
What do you hope to accomplish with it?

This is the key question. Many/most posters on this subject expect UV to eliminate ich. It can't and it won't. Its good for water clarity, and helping with algae and bacteria, though. This is why pondkeepers love UV. Most folks who have been around have a UV unit; somewhere in their junk box.

FlyPenFly
06/07/2013, 12:21 PM
Something like a 36 watt 12x turbotwist will definitely kill ich.

jimmyj7090
06/07/2013, 12:34 PM
Something like a 36 watt 12x turbotwist will definitely kill ich.

In the water that passes through it.

d2mini
06/07/2013, 12:49 PM
Go with ozone instead.

Please provide the OP with reasons WHY to go with ozone and not a uv.
Some people run both. Although there is some crossover, they accomplish two different things and it depends on what the OP is looking to achieve.

goreef170
06/07/2013, 01:03 PM
This is the key question. Many/most posters on this subject expect UV to eliminate ich. It can't and it won't. Its good for water clarity, and helping with algae and bacteria, though. This is why pondkeepers love UV. Most folks who have been around have a UV unit; somewhere in their junk box.

UV won't eliminate ick, every one that uses one knows this.... BUT it will help control ick....

I use one and always will... the pros definitely out number the cons....

ingtar_shinowa
06/07/2013, 01:09 PM

Mine is in my junk box right now lol. I burnt out my bulb with a low water level.

UV won't eliminate ick, every one that uses one knows this.... BUT it will help control ick....

I use one and always will... the pros definitely out number the cons....

Mine helped tremendously when my black tank broke out in ick. Now I'm not saying this is a scientifically proven fact, or that there might not have been other reasons, but my black tang was white with ick, worst ive ever seen, and after 4 days of uv at the PROPER flow rates it was gone. Never has returned.

Take that with a grain of IO, but most tanks I love too look at run UV, something there.....

kclewis
06/07/2013, 01:34 PM
I'm telling you, go with ozone and inject it right into your skimmer. My water is perfect. ORP at 380. The water is so clear you can't even tell it's water.

j tavares
06/07/2013, 02:18 PM
Okay Mr ozone what ozonizer?

kclewis
06/07/2013, 05:24 PM
I use the read sea but use two large air driers. Dry air is key. All controlled by a Milwaukee orp controller.

jimmyj7090
06/07/2013, 06:53 PM
Did Hanktrank ever elaborate on his goals?

Ozone certainly is useful for keeping redox high (assuming you also use a ORP controller) but is that what he's looking to do, or was there another reason?

rldcpa
06/07/2013, 07:45 PM
I am looking at Ozone and/or UV, but for my tank would be about $600 for each.

I would want one or both for:

1. Some algae control
2. Clear water
3. Bacteria killer (only the bad bacteria...lol)
4. Some control and or reduction in parasite breakouts.
5. In the case of Ozone, better coral growth

SVTour
06/08/2013, 07:30 AM
Well, not to :deadhorse1:

But I run a UV, and couldn't be happier with my water clarity. Mine's probably undersized for the size tank I have (45W in 220 display) but since putting it in as a CL, all the little bits of algae that on my overflows (and few rocks) are gone. With the CL, I'm also pulling water from what might be a dead spot in the tank.

Just my 2¢

1SlickFish
06/08/2013, 08:33 AM
Definityly has pros and cons and to be honest, your not going to get "your" answer from these answers. You will have to read for a few weeks from surfing the internet and diging up everything you can find, then deciding if it fits your build.

From what I hve read in all your threads, it sounds like thats what you need.