PDA

View Full Version : Painting my tank

brad
06/06/2013, 10:34 AM
My wife wants me to paint my 270 gallon tank. Not the acrylic, and I won't let her do the top (which functions as a heat sink) but the base of the stand and sides of the canopy. She will let me pick any "neutral" color that is not white or black. Her mom (never owned a fish tank but does arts and crafts) said to use any house paint but avoid gloss because the saltwater will ruin the finish. Any special considerations? I could care less what the outside of the tank looks like.

GroktheCube
06/06/2013, 11:11 AM
If it's going on glass, good spray paint sticks better than anything else. I don't remember the name of the product, but Rustoleum makes a "bond to everything!" spray paint in a variety of colors that adheres to glass very well. I've heard Krylon fusion works well too.

For wood, I'd talk to the folks at the paint shop. Something designed to be used on the outside of a house would probably hold up best, especially if you put a clear coat or sealant on it.

brad
06/06/2013, 11:30 AM
Nope, I don't have glass and paint is not going on the acrylic.

BTW - I have googled this (surprised no one flamed me yet) and am aware everyone likes kilz primer (but doesn't say which type). Beyond that, people recommend latex exterior, oil based, acrylic and just about anything you can use other than plain house paint, and then clear coat.

blue736
06/06/2013, 12:24 PM
Use acrylic enamel paint or any good oil based house paint. Should be good.

Palytoxin718
06/06/2013, 12:58 PM
oil based paint works well

KeepNitReel
06/06/2013, 12:59 PM
Wow, she wants & lets you? Who's wearing the paints in that house! J/k :D

brad
06/06/2013, 01:14 PM
Wow, she wants & lets you? Who's wearing the paints in that house! J/k :D

Usually I end up wearing the paint.

dlplunkett44
06/06/2013, 04:03 PM
If you're going to use Kilz, use the oil based, they have it in a spray can as well I believe.

brad
06/07/2013, 07:11 AM
What sort of "Clear Coat" do I use? I might have some water-based hardwood floor sealer left over, can I use that?