View Full Version : Bulkhead Poll

Get Hooked
06/06/2013, 08:25 PM
Which plumbing style do you prefer:

1. Connect to FPT inside of Bulkhead

2. Connect to Slip inside of Bulkhead

3. Connect to Slip outside of Bulkhead

4. Connect to MPT outside of Bulkhead

The threaded style interests me more due to the fact the connections could be taken apart easier than glued slip connections. However, from what I have read it seems that folks have more leak issues initially for various reasons when using threaded connections.

Get Hooked
06/07/2013, 05:13 PM
bump

fishyguy7
06/07/2013, 08:15 PM
it really depends on what Im plumbing, I use both option 1 and 2. I dont know what you mean with options 3 and 4

Pearson
06/07/2013, 08:17 PM
I use slip/slip. I've never had any leaks.

Get Hooked
06/08/2013, 05:46 AM
it really depends on what Im plumbing, I use both option 1 and 2. I dont know what you mean with options 3 and 4

Option 1 would be screwing in a male connector to the "inside" of a female threaded bulkhead.

Option 2 would be gluing a slip connector to the "inside" of a bulkhead slip.

Option 3 would be gluing a slip connector to the "outside" of a bulkhead slip.

Option 4 would be screwing in a female connector to the "outside" of a male threaded bulkhead.

KeepNitReel
06/08/2013, 06:12 AM
Option 1 would be screwing in a male connector to the "inside" of a female threaded bulkhead.

Option 4 would be screwing in a female connector to the "outside" of a male threaded bulkhead.

Option 4 is not advisable, the outside thread was made for the screw ring for the bulkhead, not for connecting plumbing. Probably why he didn't understand, because your not suppose to do it.

Option 3 is a no no too

Sonyardo
06/08/2013, 06:42 AM
I'm a slip inside (No Glue) and FPT outside kinda guy ;)
My options were not on the poll so I didn't participate.

Get Hooked
06/08/2013, 06:50 PM
I'm a slip inside (No Glue) and FPT outside kinda guy ;)
My options were not on the poll so I didn't participate.

Touche

jdm1114
06/08/2013, 06:58 PM
I prefer thread by thread bulkheads, must be sch 80!

jerpa
06/08/2013, 07:03 PM
I use slip x threaded. As was stated the large threads on the outside of a bulkhead aren't for plumbing and I don't believe they are a NPT size anyway so option 4 isn't really an option.

With proper technique it is easy to assemble leak-free threaded PVC connections. I like having the option of disassembling the plumbing if necessary.

dixiedog
06/08/2013, 07:03 PM

It's probably just me, but I STILL don't get it.

Long story short though, it all depends on the situation. I've used all sorts of different combinations. I'll disagree with Jer though, I glue everything that needs to not leak.

Mudbeaver
06/08/2013, 07:47 PM
I prefer thread by thread bulkheads, must be sch 80!

I agree with your statement about sch 80. Someone was talking about leaks in his tanks and after a while it came out that he had paid only his bulkheads $15 in a deal for top quality. Sorry but top quality is $ 49 to $ 67 a bulkhead. You can't get cheap on those primary things they are too vital to mess with. Also if you can get a tank with only 3 sides glass do it its better and stronger if you back wall and bottom are not glass , the bulhead don't risk damaging or weakening the glass when put in.