PDA

View Full Version : Aquascaping for 150g

Hellion179
06/06/2013, 09:06 PM
Just got done reading about a 50 page write up on aquascaping a modern aquarium. One of the highlights of the article was that we often use too much rock when building. So, I'm staring at my tank, wondering if I should redo it while it's still young.

The rock is leaning against the back glass and the overflows. I plan on a mixed reef, mostly sps and lps though. I'm concerned with height too as I stacked the rock fairly high.

Please tell me what you think. 234063

PistolShrmp
06/06/2013, 09:44 PM
If your wondering about redoing it now and don't, I think you'll regret it later...

I would agree with your comments about too high and leaning against the back glass. I would keep playing with it. I'd also raise your lights too.

lionfish300
06/06/2013, 09:44 PM
Make sure that you have flow back of your tank also. No dead spot

Dapg8gt
06/06/2013, 09:56 PM
I would swap it now while it's empty of coral/fish It's gonna lead to issues that you can't control other than ripping it out later.. As stated above you should Def NOT lean it on the back glass.. I know the article your talking about and I think a critical point was missdd(no offense at all) but you are blocking the flow from front to back and Imo made a wall of rocks.. Most of the article talks about the way not to make a wall of rocks... If i t was me I would go back to the drawing board and get out a hammer and chisel and for your rock in sections put together with epoxy and then assemble the larger pieces in the tank so you can still remove it but it will stay stable..

I have been playing with mine for the new build but I masked off the area of my tank on the floor and have been shaping it in pieces while still keeping my rock live by working quicker than slower.. I am not close to being done but I have some rock drilled out with rods ready to be glued together when the tank goes up sitting in the brute while I try to finalize my idea.. YouTube has some great tutorials and examples to get real visual ideas on how to not make a rock wall FWIW..
Hope that didn't come out wrong as its your tank and if you like it who cares what I think ;)

greg1786
06/07/2013, 12:45 AM
What was the name of the article? Any chance you could post a link? Id love to read it

Hellion179
06/07/2013, 01:12 AM
Ill try to find it. I had to copy and paste it and to save space I cut the title. If ican find out ill post it.

Yeah, I did this before I read this article and that's why I'm posting. I feel like it's too much of a reef wall and not something you can swim in and out of.

Ms Tanky Panky
06/07/2013, 05:58 AM
Try pulling both off the wall and then move one up a little closer than the other one so they aren't in a straight line. Maybe even angling it away from the other. I think your seperating them as you have is a great idea too. You also might try putting one of you high points to the opposite of the other one instead of next to each other. The possibilities are many so just keep moving everything around till you step back and say "oh yeah" one more thing, do step back a ways to really see the whole picture. Have fun, your doing a good job already.

DavidinGA
06/07/2013, 08:10 AM
If that were my tank I would redo it simply because it looks like a rock wall and I despise the look...

...but maybe you like it?