PDA

View Full Version : purigen sticks after regeneration????

thunderjohnsonx
06/06/2013, 09:28 PM
Hey everyone. Started using purigen to help keep my 75 gal reef tank squeeky clean. Works great and I'm happy with the results. I followed the instructions for regeneration to the t. And what I ended up with was a stinky bag of purigen. Is this normal? Should it smell clean or does the purigen have a funny smell to it after regeneration? Any help is appreciated

daytek
06/06/2013, 11:37 PM
Did you use bleach

dlplunkett44
06/07/2013, 01:40 AM
What does it smell like? (other than stinky)

thunderjohnsonx
06/07/2013, 09:39 AM
Yes half bleach and half water for 24 hours.

The smell is a lil indescribable. Only thing I can compare it to is my dogs anal glands. Nasty. Not death because I know what that smells like. It doesn't smell like a filter pad that you have removed for a week either. That smells like grungy low tide.

The only thing I can say I did maybe wrong was not use prime when I soaked it the second time. But I do this all the time with my filter pads and socks. Just let it soak a lil longer and no chlorine smell. Never had a problem and the purigen doesn't smell like bleach.

Thanks for the help

ramseynb
06/08/2013, 01:22 AM
I've actually had he same problem before. Unfortunately, I could not figure it out. Mine had a raw shrimp smell. I ended up just tossing it and buying another bag.

sintax9
07/10/2013, 07:52 AM
Thunder, how much Purigen do you use for your 75g setup?