PDA

View Full Version : Switched Socket Outlet 3150.110

NavyCove
06/06/2013, 10:13 PM
After losing 150 gallons of SPS to an ATO float that stuck in the ON position, I decided to upgrade to an Osmolator due to its multiple safety features. My RO tank is too far from the tank to easily use the small included pump so I decided to use the larger pump and plumbing I already had. This requires addition of the Tunze Switched Socket Outlet 3150.110 as a relay to turn on/off the pump. Unfortunately, the 3150.110 comes with NO instructions. Well, there was some printed material, but nothing that actually tells you how to use it - especially with USA outlets.
Using a little electrical knowledge (and I mean a little), I plugged the pump into the 3150 as shown in the photo. I clipped off the ends of the 3150 wires and connected to the Osmolator as shown. It worked for my tests and seemed to work for a week or two and then failed. I have tested the Osmolator with the original pump and it functions properly. I have to assume the Switched Socket Outlet 3150.110 is faulty.
Did I wire correctly? Did I plug it in correctly? Any advice? Could the 3150.110 fail that quickly? I currently am using me as the "ATO" and that is getting old.
Thanks for any help.

rvitko
06/07/2013, 07:01 AM
The two likely culprits:

If this is a new osmolator (one made in the last 18 months) and it has the pump speed adjustment as shown on age 42-43 of the manual. This has to be turned to full power to be able to reliably actuate the relay.

The switched socket has a fuse inside which could fail if the pump was too large or jammed. The limit is 600W so too large is unlikely but some water damage or a jammed pump could blow the fuse.

The manual is part of the osmo manual, in general it is very simple, you just connect the switched socket pigtail in place of the pump, plug the switched socket into the wall and plug the pump into the switched socket.

NavyCove
06/07/2013, 08:43 PM
Roger,

Thanks for your response. I can tell you are very dedicated to this forum and it is very appreciated.

I checked the fuse (it was OK) and changed the setting to Max. Nothing happened until I unplugged the Osmolator and plugged it back in. It is working now. I'm still concerned since i had to "reboot" it with a unplug/replug one time before. Do you think it is "fixed" or is there a history or requiring rebooting with this unit?

Thanks again for your help.

rvitko
06/10/2013, 09:19 AM
If it had signalled the switched socket to run for 10 minutes without registering a top off, it would have to be reset in this way. It shuts down after 10 minutes as a safety. The blinking too low light should be on when this happens.