PDA

View Full Version : Dosing noob help!

warnutts
06/07/2013, 04:18 AM
Hey RC first time doser here. Need some advice before I add stuff to my tank for the first time(and hopefully not destroy it!) I recently ordered the brs doser kit. Tank is a mixed reef and is only a month old. I use oceanic salt for now.

tank parameters are

Ca 390
Dkh 6.4
Mag 1260
Ph 8.0-8.5

Question is it safe to add unbalanced 2 part?

I want my raise my dkh up higher with baking soda but scared if it will throw my calcium out of whack.

Are you only supposed to dose calcium along side alk?? I'm attempting to get good parameters first, then maintain with water changes and only use the dosing pumps when levels consistently drop.

Thanks for all the help!

disc1
06/07/2013, 11:32 AM
The reason for the equal parts thing is that calcium and alk are consumed in a certain ratio. That is a factor for maintaining levels. If you are just adjusting one level or the other then it is fine to use one part or the other. There is no harm in unequal parts, it's just that once you get your daily dose set it should wind up being equal parts unless there is something else affecting it like the levels in your water changes.

ounvme247
06/07/2013, 04:53 PM
im going through the same thing now. ive also orderd dosing pumps from brs. good luck .

redfishblewfish
06/07/2013, 09:35 PM
I’ve been a two-parter since 2008…..and YES, you can add unequal parts of the two part. I originally was using a salt that was high in calcium, so my calc addition was approximately 25% less than the alk addition. So no problem adding unequal parts. Just test frequently and adjust dosing. I test about once a week and adjust my BRS pumps appropriately.