PDA

View Full Version : Open Brain attacking Scoly? Or visa versa?

scolley
06/08/2013, 08:40 AM
I've had a few open brains for a few years. Doing great. No evidence of aggression, ever. So the other day I bought a small scolymia, not the Australian kind, but looks the same. Malaysian or Indonesian as I recall...

Anyway, I placed it next to a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi and they looked fine for a the first 24 hours. But last night a few hours after lights out - when the LPS all are deflated with feeders out - I noticed a thick band of mesenterial filament between the two coral. Thick like your little finger. It was big. Someone was trying to eat someone else. Question is, who was it?

I separated them, and amazingly they both look fine today. When I pulled them apart last night, the filament stayed with the brain. So I assume that it was the brain's filaments, and that it was the aggressor.

Does anyone know? Thanks. :)

Rockster2599
06/08/2013, 02:32 PM
Scollys and Trachys are fairly evenly matched but either could be trying to draw first blood:eek:
In a fair fight I would give the edge to the scolymia based on experience.

scolley
06/08/2013, 03:25 PM
Hmmm... thanks for the reply.

Over the course of the day, it appears that the brain's flesh has minor damage. Just a little puckered where the filaments were. So I'm assuming that it was the scoly hitting the brain, and not the other way around.

Thanks.

Rockster2599
06/09/2013, 12:10 PM
Hmmm... thanks for the reply.

Over the course of the day, it appears that the brain's flesh has minor damage. Just a little puckered where the filaments were. So I'm assuming that it was the scoly hitting the brain, and not the other way around.

Thanks.

Sounds exactly like what happened with mine, the Trachy will be fine in a day or so.
It could be a lot worse, I've just had my Lobo hit my Goni:eek1:
Lobos are mean.