PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Cupramine...

Reefahholic
06/08/2013, 01:32 PM
Is it possible to kill ICH without using a copper test kit. I know I need to maintain theraputic level, but is that hard to do just by following the directions?Is it do-able?

Or do I need to get a test kit. If so, what kind for the specific copper product above. ---> "Seachem Cupramine"

DerekFF
06/08/2013, 01:39 PM
Well you can't use copper in a reef tank. Only way I not use it is quarantine for 6-8week and keep your display tank empty for the same duration if you already had ich outbreak in there. Treat using copper in a smaller quarantine tank for your fish.

Reefahholic
06/08/2013, 02:35 PM
Well you can't use copper in a reef tank. Only way I not use it is quarantine for 6-8week and keep your display tank empty for the same duration if you already had ich outbreak in there. Treat using copper in a smaller quarantine tank for your fish.

Yeah, they are in the QT.

I QT'ed everything, but did hypo on some recent fish that were infected and kept the SG below what was suggested and for longer than the suggested time and they showed no signs of ICH. The spots went away and I thought the hypo killed it. Kept them in for 8 weeks. Observed another 2-3 weeks at regular SG. Put them in DT and 1 month later fish were dying one by one, but with no spots. Down to 4 fish that I think are immune to ICH, but are carrying it. Tore down my scape (to catch them all) and stuck them in QT. Ready to treat with Copper while DT stays empty or with coral only until I kill the ICH.

Anybody else think I need a copper test kit, or can I do it without one?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Moort82
06/08/2013, 03:03 PM
I would say you definitely need a test kit. I had to regularly treat a qt rack and needed the kit to keep the levels right following the dosage on the cupramine bottle. Without a kit its guess work and that way you risk either going to low or too high. Salifert make a copper test kit which is ok for the job. At least to give you a guide.

Reefahholic
06/08/2013, 04:34 PM
ok...yeah, i know they make different kits for different kinds of copper.

anybody else?

1SlickFish
06/08/2013, 04:56 PM
I would get a test kit. You at least need to know what the solutionin in the bottle is. Mine is 3 drope to a gallon and it reads perfect on the kit, so, I make sure I take away "X" gallons and replace.

jimmyj7090
06/08/2013, 05:48 PM
You need a kit, no question. If the level is a little too low it won't be effective, if it's too high it'll kill fish. The dosing directions are aproximate.

It takes a bit of practice to get used to reading the seachem kit, but it's a necessary headache.

Reefahholic
06/08/2013, 08:30 PM
So get the kit that seachem makes...

Is that the best one or should I use something easier to read?

Dr Colliebreath
06/09/2013, 09:31 AM
Cupramine is very stable in solution so as long as you are using a bare qt with just plastic items (no live rock or sand), you MIGHT be ok dosing without testing.

HOWEVER, you are taking a pretty big risk if you don't do any test checks. You need to maintain the dose at an effective level and if it falls short you may not be effective in eliminating parasites. On the flip side, the copper is a poison so if you overdose you will kill your fish. Basically, you are trying to poison the parasites without using a high enough level to poison your fish.

For these reasons, I strongly suggest you get a test kit to monitor your cu levels.

I have and use both the Seachem and the Salifert tests. Both work, but the Seachem test can be difficult to read so I would be inclined to order the Salifert test in your situation.

Make sure to read up on the fish you are treating as some like flame angels don't handle cu well.

I prefer Cupramine to other copper treatments and it is the only one I use. I ramp up the dose more slowly than Seachem advises. If I recall correctly, they say to put half of the dose in on days 1 and 3, but I put one-third in on days 1, 3 and 5. If I don't see any evidence of parasites, I tend to use a dose of .3-.4 ppm rather than .5.

Get your fish eating before you treat them. During treatment, if they stop eating for more than a day, back off the copper for a while (dilute with water changes).

Reefahholic
06/09/2013, 11:12 PM
Hey thanks my brother, that was the information I was looking for!

Great reply!

Reefahholic
06/09/2013, 11:13 PM
Hey thanks my brother, that was the information I was looking for!

Great reply!