PDA

View Full Version : What Equipment To Leave off During Cycle

Charleskart
06/08/2013, 10:23 PM
Hello Everybody

I'm hoping some of you can help me with a new build, I purchased all my equipment up front for my build to get it all plumbed in and programmed into my RKE upon initial set up.

My question is, what equipment can I, should I, leave on during the cycle period, and when should I start utilizing the equipment.

Tanks is a 60G with 120G of total water volume, most of my equipment is oversized

Protein Skimmer ASM G4XX up to 450g
Calcium Reactor GEO-612 up to 300g
Ozone Reactor Mutiny 1 up to 200g
Phosphate Reactor
Kw reactor (wanted to plumb in line right away with top off water)
Chiller 1/4 hp
Heater

Thanks for all your help

keithhays
06/08/2013, 10:46 PM
If you are running lights or carbon, shut them off until the cycle is able to cycle 2ppm of ammonia in 12 hours and you have done a final water change to bring the nitrates down to about 1ppm. Everything else should be running all the way through the cycle.

TylerHaworth
06/09/2013, 07:38 AM
Leave the calcium, GFO, ozone, and kalk offline during... No use/need for any of them during the fluctuating cycle.

keithhays
06/09/2013, 07:47 AM
Leave the calcium, GFO, ozone, and kalk offline during... No use/need for any of them during the fluctuating cycle.

GFO and Kalk should be left on. The nitrogen cycle consumes a large amount of alkalinity and the GFO is needed for any Phosphate accumulating or already present in the rock. Ozone is not really relevant either way unless it is not being off gassed, in which case, it shouldn't be there anyway.

degibson84
06/09/2013, 07:52 AM
I just added LR from my 4 year old setup and have been running the lights so i dont lose the coralline colors on my LR. I also have been growing major algae on my ATS system. In just a few weeks the screen is covered. should i be shutting the lights off during my cycle? I want to leave the lights on the ATS since there are nutrients present from somewhere

Bo0sted_Rafi
06/09/2013, 11:04 AM
IMO, just run the return pump to make the cicle. Yo can use the skimmer but your biological charge don't make too much.

Meanmike
06/09/2013, 11:08 AM
GFO and Kalk should be left on. The nitrogen cycle consumes a large amount of alkalinity and the GFO is needed for any Phosphate accumulating or already present in the rock. Ozone is not really relevant either way unless it is not being off gassed, in which case, it shouldn't be there anyway.

What would be the reason for using kalk during a cycle? Sorry that just doesn't make any sense to me.

Charleskart
06/09/2013, 12:30 PM
It will be in ce to run the kalk during the cyle, I guess I don't need to add the media...; but it is diectly in line to my ATO.

kissman
06/09/2013, 01:00 PM
the only thing I left off was the lights, I ran GFO for any PO4 that came out of rocks, GAC to keep down any smell, lights off to limit algae.

keithhays
06/09/2013, 03:28 PM
...oh be sure to let the skimmer just run back into the sump until it breaks in and you know what its going to do.