PDA

View Full Version : Sps help

Nicolas Dumetz
06/09/2013, 09:07 PM
Hi,
I moved my old 25 gallons to a 75 gallons 2 months ago. All my sps coral were looking great...great coloration and good growth. But now in the 75....some of the acroporas look good but some of them are brown and two start bleaching, one from the bottom and the other from the tip. My montipora danae is brown too instead of blue. I have the same equipement in my 75 (48x18x21) that I used in my 25 but bigger: 2x maxspect razor 16k 20inch,2 koralia 1500 and 2 1050, cadlight tia1150 skimmer, cadlight bio pellet reactor(with approx 100ml swc pellet), BRS dual reactor with carbon and GFO, fuge with cheeto in 40 gallons sump.
My light are hang up 10 inch from the water level my white peak at 85% and my blue at 90%.
When I moved the tank, I use about 25 gallons of water from my old system. And the tank is bare bottom.
My parameter are:
Ph: 8.0(salifert)
No3: 5ppm(salifert)
Po4: 0.03(salifert)
Ca: 430(salifert)
Kh: 8.0 dkg(salifert)
Temp: 78F
I don't understand why the coral are turning brown and two of my old acro are bleaching.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Nicolas

Nicolas Dumetz
06/09/2013, 09:09 PM
And I add reef energy A and B from red sea every day

Nicolas Dumetz
06/13/2013, 04:06 PM
Anyone?? My montipora start bleaching a little too...

mayjong
06/13/2013, 05:10 PM
leds bleaching, too much light?

Tron_954
06/13/2013, 05:28 PM
Turn it down to 55 and 65. See what happens after two weeks

Nicolas Dumetz
06/13/2013, 06:00 PM
Alright...it's weird because all those corals had more light before I move the tank...but I'll try to turn the lights down.
Thank you!

Reef Bass
06/13/2013, 06:28 PM
The one you say is bleaching from the bottom, do you still see polyps and flesh in the bleached area, or not so much?

What I've experienced is bleaching from too much light often starts at the top and / or takes out the entire frag. Bleaching from the bottom, though possible, sounds more like stn.

Also in my experience, corals can brown after a reduction in light, which sort of jives with your thoughts that they are currently getting less light now than they were.

That said, it is not uncommon for reefers to bleach their corals when converting over to LED lights. But you've had yours a while, right?

russeko8
06/13/2013, 06:44 PM
May be a long shot but check everything for a source of contamination. Your parameters look good as for lighting I have no personal experience with LED just what I have seen on other tanks. I had something similar happen and it was driving me nuts for 2 months. I had a power cord on a powerhead break and only the green wire broke so the powerhead was still running and showing no voltage leak which voltage leak and copper is another thing to look for. If you do a large water change keeping everything the same and things improve for a while then go back it is some sort of contamination, something corroding or what not. If not Pictures of the tank, system and specimens may help someone with diagnostics. Hope this helps

Russ

Nicolas Dumetz
06/13/2013, 08:35 PM
Yes I can still see the polyps but normally they are blue and now they are really pale.I had those corals under led light for a year and a half before moving the tank...I just check my system and I have found the on/off switch of my refugium light in the water with a little bit of rust on it.Do you think it could cause the montipora to bleach?

russeko8
06/14/2013, 06:00 PM
I just check my system and I have found the on/off switch of my refugium light in the water with a little bit of rust on it.Do you think it could cause the montipora to bleach?

Yes that could cause a lot of problems stray voltage, copper, I suggest a decent water change 10-20 percent, and see if things start to heal. Did you happen to check for stray voltage while the switch was In the water?

Nicolas Dumetz
06/14/2013, 07:31 PM
Yes I took a little shock and thats what lead me to the switch in the water...I'll do a good water change and add some polyfilter for a week in case I have copper...but I test copper with the salifert test kit and it was at zero. I add a grounding probe to the system. I turn down the light a little too in case they were bleaching. I hope my montipora will get back but they have not decrease since I removed the switch in the water.
Thanks a lot for your help!

russeko8
06/14/2013, 07:47 PM
Well hopefully you found the smoking gun. Glad to help keep it updated to see how things go a while after the water change.

Good Luck

Russ

premilove
06/15/2013, 11:40 AM
How did you do the transfer? Was it all your water from the 25 and new water on top? How long was that 75 sitting with water before you did the transfer? What substrate did you use?

dunk373
06/15/2013, 04:53 PM
I had the same Issue went and added tanks to my system lost color polyps not out browning out all kinds of issues still good growth. It is finally coming back after a year. Also you added 50g to a 25g system stirred things up new glass probably a cycle happened just a small one to lose color and effect a few sps. the stn probably caused by the large water change that either boosted alk or lowered it.

Nicolas Dumetz
06/16/2013, 12:09 PM
I start the 75 for about a month with 40 pounds of cured liverock. I tool about 30 gallons of water from a friend's tank and every week for the first month I change 5 gallons of water from my 25 to my 75. After a month I made the transfer and I took 20-25 gallons of the water in my 25 gallons. My tank is barebottom like my 25 was. I think the alk was probably higher in my 75 that it was in my 25...
Thanks