PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of Fallback and Set

jeffreylam1132
06/10/2013, 07:38 PM
Hi,

Can someone please tell me what's the meaning of fallback and set? For example, I see some program that people have fallback on/off and set on/off? What does all that mean? Thanks.

slief
06/10/2013, 09:04 PM
As I understand it, fallback is the default state of the outlet if the Apex fails or is removed from the EB8/EB8 becomes disconnected from the Apex and set is the default state of the outlet before any programming if power to the EB8 is on. I could have it backwards but that is essentially it.

Mark Bianco
06/10/2013, 09:19 PM
Sleif pretty much nailed it. Here is a couple of examples of the fallback statement for a return pump you probably want to run that all of the time Fallback ON Now your lighting if communications failed you probably would not want that to turn on and stay on in this case you would use the Fallback OFF. Set is a little difficult to explain see page 39 of the comprehensive manual.

kurt_n
06/11/2013, 10:11 AM
Fallback controls the outlet state if communications is lost between the EB and the controller.

Set is just like a switch - it turns the outlet on or off, until acted on by other lines of programming.

For example, if the only code for an outlet was:

Fallback OFF
Set ON

...means if the EB loses communication, that particular outlet will turn itself OFF, regardless of any other programming. It will remain off until communications with the base unit is restored. And the "Set ON" means that assuming communications with the base unit is established, the outlet will always be on.

jeffreylam1132
06/11/2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the clarification guys. So, if I have the Fallback ON, it means that outlet will stay on if I lose communcation with the base unit regardless of what's going on?

If that's the case, then I would definitely want to have Fallback ON for my return pump and have Fallback OFF for my lighting. Am I right?

slief
06/11/2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys. So, if I have the Fallback ON, it means that outlet will stay on if I lose communcation with the base unit regardless of what's going on?

If that's the case, then I would definitely want to have Fallback ON for my return pump and have Fallback OFF for my lighting. Am I right?

Correct. The exception would be that if your light utilizes a separate controller, you might want that to fallback on as well. My LED lights for example are not controlled by my Apex. They have a built in controller with one of the fixtures being the master. As such, I have all of my LED outlets on my EB8's set to Fallback ON.

jeffreylam1132
06/11/2013, 12:43 PM
How about the program for a skimmer and a delayed start if I have a power failure/outage?

Thanks slief for your help and especially the tip on removing the foam on the alpha skimmer. :)

slief
06/11/2013, 02:55 PM
How about the program for a skimmer and a delayed start if I have a power failure/outage?

Thanks slief for your help and especially the tip on removing the foam on the alpha skimmer. :)

Glad to help.

For the delayed start, I personally dont use a delay on my skimmer pumps because I have float switches in the sump which when the high switch is trigged, one of the skimmer pumps is shut off. That said, the code below is from another thread. This should do what you need.
This code would work for when you shut your return pump off.

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Outlet (Insert pump outlet name here) = OFF Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON

This could would work in the event of a power failure though I think the defer line might be redundant.

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Power EB8_x OFF 005 Then OFF (change "x" to the EB8 the actual EB8 power bar number on the aquabus)
Defer 005:00 Then ON

You can adjust the time from 005:00 to anything you'd like but this will delay the start 5 minutes.