PDA

View Full Version : What is a good led light set up for mixed reef 46 gal. cube

makin67
06/11/2013, 11:07 AM
Need advice on what would be a good LED light system for a 46 gallon 20x20x24 marineland cube tank. I'm new to the hobby and would like to have some nice fish and coral. I've looked at the marineland reef capable light with a timer and looks like it would do the job. I've also looked at the Zetlight nano that has the cool cloudy, lightning, lunar, etc. modes on it. Both seem like they're at a reasonable price. I'm not looking to break the bank. I've seen the $400-$700 set ups...not ready to let that kind of money go for a light system!

bnumair
06/11/2013, 03:45 PM
u can get AI sol or AI vega oe for a bit more radion. but with any of those due to the small dimensions 20x20 u only need 1 unit.
all the above mentioned leds 1 unit is rated for 24 L x 24 W area upto 36" in height.

makin67
06/11/2013, 05:04 PM
u can get AI sol or AI vega oe for a bit more radion. but with any of those due to the small dimensions 20x20 u only need 1 unit.
all the above mentioned leds 1 unit is rated for 24 L x 24 W area upto 36" in height.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what "AI sol or AI vega oe" is....so are you saying that any one of the above mentioned lights would be good for a mixed reef tank?

MondoBongo
06/11/2013, 05:06 PM
I would highly advise buying one of the high end units. I love my AI Vega.

It is a lot of money up front, but I can tell you from personal experience that if you try to skimp on the light it will end up needing replaced sooner rather than later.

I bought some bargain LED lights and one of the units bleached out many of my LPS and caused me to lose quite a few zoas.

After replacing the old junk LEDs with the AI Vegas everything is growing and colored up again.

bnumair
06/11/2013, 05:17 PM
AI is aqua illumination. They make 2 models of lights. SOLS were thier first led system. It has few sub models from generation 1 to 2 and blues or whites.
Last year they came out with a completely new led system called Vegas. They do have few sub models.
I have used both sols and Vegas. I currently have 7 Vegas.
Radion is also led system bit more expensive than AI leds.its made by ecotech.
U can google both manufacturer.
Any of the three will be just fine for reef. Just depends on ur pocket.
SOLS $399
Vegas $499
Radion $749

They all will need controller. But like I said u only need 1of these led fixture.

kissman
06/11/2013, 05:40 PM
AI has a new fixture coming out called a Hydra that looks pretty nice for $399

drillsar
06/11/2013, 09:02 PM
what about reefbreeders Led?

mikem101
06/11/2013, 09:09 PM
Ive heard great things about reef breeder, I have a kessil 350w and have seen tons more growth the with the AI sol but thinking about a reef breeder for my new tank!