PDA

View Full Version : Clown Trigger

Hbohi
06/11/2013, 04:55 PM
I was thinking about adding a very small clown trigger to my tank. I have a lose nose butterfly, 1 clown, yellow head goby and a saddle puffer. I've heard that the clown triggers get really mean and will eat my fish so before I get him...If he's the small member of the tank and grow up with the other fish will he turn evil and eat them all once he's bigger?

Wolverine
06/11/2013, 06:28 PM
How big is the tank?
Small CTs turn into big CTs. In all likelihood, unless the tank is huge, you can count on the trigger turning sooner or later.

Cubbies
06/11/2013, 08:44 PM
Size of tank would be helpful for an answer. They do tend to turn and they get pretty darn BIG. They also grow quiet quickly. And not to mention you will need excellent filtration as they are messy eaters.

Dmorty217
06/11/2013, 09:07 PM
Tank size is key for how long this can be sustained, and by long I mean A few months.The clown will grow quick and eat anything it can put in its mouth. Your clownfish and goby will be the first to come up missing one day in the future. Hopefully Humaguy will lend you some of his knowledge on the subject of triggers

Hbohi
06/11/2013, 10:46 PM
Right now I have a 40 and a 45 tank but im planning on getting a 100+ tank which I would then house the trigger... I just discovered the clown trigger but heard awful stuff about the cute fish

humaguy
06/12/2013, 04:58 AM
not big enough...even a 100 plus is too small...sorry...I would recommend holding off until you have a tank suitable for the clown...

FTDelta
06/12/2013, 07:55 AM
Although a beautiful fish with a nasty attitude to boot. Yep , you got to get a bigger tank than 100 gallons.

jschultzbass
06/12/2013, 08:28 AM
Just a quick FYI that I have found useful: Never buy fish for a "future" tank. Only buy for the tank you have now. That "future" might never happen....

Wolverine
06/12/2013, 10:41 AM
As mentioned, a 100g tank won't be nearly big enough to keep one long term. As much as I love this fish, I don't think I'll ever have a tank big enough that I'd keep one again. Maybe if I got into that 500+ range, but then I'd want to keep a reef, which would be an even iffier project with a CT.

Just a quick FYI that I have found useful: Never buy fish for a "future" tank. Only buy for the tank you have now. That "future" might never happen....

Absolutely. IME, most of the planned upgrades never happen; CTs are not rare, and if you get a tank big enough to hold one, you won't have any trouble finding it at that point.

mikem101
06/12/2013, 02:03 PM
Right now I have a 40 and a 45 tank but im planning on getting a 100+ tank which I would then house the trigger... I just discovered the clown trigger but heard awful stuff about the cute fish

I am all for tangs and i'm pretty laid back when it comes to tank size like i think a small tomini tang would be fine in a 40 for most of their life full grown i think a 55-60 is ok JMO but, that being said! Their are a couple tangs i dont think should ever be in home aquaria 1.sohal tang 2. unicorn tang 3.clown tang those are my big 3!

CedzAquAddictio
06/12/2013, 02:11 PM
i am all for tangs and i'm pretty laid back when it comes to tank size like i think a small tomini tang would be fine in a 40 for most of their life full grown i think a 55-60 is ok jmo but, that being said! their are a couple tangs i dont think should ever be in home aquaria 1.sohal tang 2. Unicorn tang 3.clown tang those are my big 3!

+1

humaguy
06/12/2013, 02:23 PM
my sohal would have been bummed to hear that...he ate better than I did...in a big system sohals and clowns are spectacular additions....unis need perhaps even a bit more linear feet but in big systems just great fish...

mikem101
06/12/2013, 03:12 PM
my sohal would have been bummed to hear that...he ate better than I did...in a big system sohals and clowns are spectacular additions....unis need perhaps even a bit more linear feet but in big systems just great fish...

I LOVE sohals probably my favorite fish, and i dont have anything saying they shouldnt be in a home tank, its just a personal opinon. Clown tangs are a little different due to them being found in surf zones and we could never recreate that in a tank! we would blow or glass out lol. But all three are probably my favorite fish just get HUGE and mean lol!

PS this whole time i thought we were talking clown tangs hahahaha not clown trigger either way both are to big for a 40 lol!

sandwi54
06/12/2013, 06:50 PM
40g tanks should not have any fish that grow bigger than 3-4". a clown trigger, no matter how small, cannot live in a 40g. As an adult i'd say it needs at least 300g to not be overly aggressive.